DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th July 2009
New User

Default It's necesary to use firmware configuring rum or zyd?

Well due to the poor strenght receiving a signal using an Intel 3945ABG wifi card I'm trying to configure 2 more wifi cards with the chipsets rt7300 and zydas1211/1211B.

My question is a necessity to use something as firmware like in Linux? In this case are valid the files used in Linux? It's right to place these files on /boot/firmware

In my last dmesg come out with lines like this:

zyd0: <SMC USB2.0 WLAN, class 255/255, rev 2.00/48.10, addr 4> on uhub4
zyd0: could not load firmware (error=5)
device_attach: zyd0 attach returned 5

So I think that some firmware is required to launch the wifi card. Also is necesary to add the firmware files of Linux pertaining to the above Intel 3945B.

Well as you can see questions and more questions. TIA
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th July 2009
Banned

The BSD and GNU/Linux community have a different definition for "firmware".

Firmware/microcode is simply loaded onto the embedded processor inside the Wireless device, it is not the driver that's being executed by the host kernel.

Reading the zyd(4) man page would seem to indicate that the firmware is already distributed with FreeBSD, so the error you're seeing could be indicative of an unsupported/problematic device.. corrupted firmware.. or perhaps the firmware is already loaded on the device, i.e: a warm reboot after using Linux or Windows previously.

Try powering down completely, and starting FreeBSD once again..

Good luck..
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th July 2009
Tcpdump Spy

Hello and welcome!

The firmware for the zyd drive in contained in /usr/src/sys/dev/usb/if_zydfw.h
It is compiled in the driver, you don't need to load an extra module or download additional files.

A quick look at the source would seem to indicate that error=5 comes from usbd_do_request(9), /usr/src/sys/dev/usb/usbdi.h lists error 5 as USBD_NOMEM, and the manpage previously linked says this error means ``An attempt to allocate memory failed.''
What this exactly means and how this helps you, I don't have the foggiest

Something else that might help is the knob, ZYD_DEBUG, which you can turn on at compile-time to print extra debug info, you don't need to recompile world, just the zyd module:

Code:
cd /usr/src/sys/modules/zyd
make clean
make -DZYD_DEBUG
mv /boot/kernel/zyd.ko /boot/kernel/zyd.ko.orig
cp zyd.ko /boot/kernel/
make clean
rm @ machine
There's also the USB_DEBUG which may help, but you will need to recompile more for that, basically zyd and everything it depends on (usb.ko, etc.) -- Probably best to just recompile world with this ...
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th July 2009
New User

Well today the dmesg comes out with this:

zyd0: HMAC ZD1211B, FW 47.25, RF AL2230, PA 0, address 00:13:f7:00:ff:ff
zyd0: WARNING: using obsoleted IFF_NEEDSGIANT flag
zyd0: Ethernet address: 00:13:f7:00:ff:ff

But the conection is a very poor one I don't know what happens with the wifi in FBSD now but it's a scrapy thing, here in my country it's very hot and probably hardware are generating hot too so the problems with this OS are due to this wave of heat.

But the folder /boot/firmware is it a mistery? the module firmware is it up to do something?
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th July 2009
Spam Deminer

Yes, but it is not required for rum(4) and zyd(4).

How do you know that connection is very poor? You compared it with something?
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th July 2009
New User

To in general :

Well today the dmesg comes out with this:

zyd0: HMAC ZD1211B, FW 47.25, RF AL2230, PA 0, address 00:13:f7:00:ff:ff
zyd0: WARNING: using obsoleted IFF_NEEDSGIANT flag
zyd0: Ethernet address: 00:13:f7:00:ff:ff

But the conection is a very poor one I don't know what happens with the wifi in FBSD now but it's a scrapy thing, here in my country it's very hot and probably hardware are generating hot too so the problems with this OS are due to this wave of heat.

Actual data : strenght signal 5% from wpi0 (Intel 3945ABG)
IEEE 802.11Wireless ethernet Autoselect (OFDM/1Mbps)

To richardpl:

Usually I'm using Nimblex or Slax in the same Library where I go to get wired or a hackingtosh 10.5.5 (iDeneb1.3) or an XP and the FBSD or PCBSD (you know the FBSD made easier) and the ratio of using in the same laptop an ACER Aspire 5612 are breaking the rules usually I get a ratio of 200 Mbs downloading with these cards also add an Atheros PCCard with chipset 5212. I'm using a HDD extern USB with these partitions and the HDD from the laptop it's the original or usb pendrives.

If I try download something like a PBI i'm using PCBSD as I said it's a everlasting download.

But the folder /boot/firmware is it a mistery? the module firmware is it up to do something?
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th July 2009
Banned

English probably isn't your native language, "is it up to do something" makes very little sense in this context.

Firmware that's in /etc/firmware is loaded onto the device, it is a little binary file that is only ever executed by the devices chipset.

Some devices embed firmware on the device, but others require that it be loaded at runtime by the driver..

OpenBSD's zyd(4) loads a firmware from /etc/firmware.. zd1211 or zd1211.. FreeBSD's zyd(4) stores the firmware for that chipset in /usr/src/sys/dev/usb/wlan/if_zydfw.h as a large array of bytes.

Because rebooting/reconnecting the device worked, it was likely because the device was left in an inconsistent state by another operating system.. as would explain the allocation error described by Carpetsmoker.

Just because zyd(4) doesn't use /etc/firmware, doesn't mean other drivers do not.

Hope that helps.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th July 2009
New User

Unhappy

Yes you are right on everything BSDFan666 my tongue is not english and ussually I reconect PCBSD with the wifi card with chipset Zydas then that I'm using iDeneb, (so how do you think that I can get wired and write this?) but by now I've got only problems trying to get wired in this OS and continue with a poor signal using the card with chipset Intel 3945.

I'm trying now to connect only with the wifi card that has the chipset atheros because it's a pccard and iDeneb not recognizes it. I remember that when I was using FBSD 6.2 it worked well , not this wifi card but other 108 wifi card the problem it's that the SO seems that only recognizes the wifi by the way of the Intel 3945

on my /boot/loader.conf there are these entries among others:

#legal.intel_iwi.license_ack=1
#legal.intel_wpi.license_ack=1
#wpi_load="YES"
nvidia_load="YES"
kqemu_load="YES"
aio_load="YES"
if_ath_load="YES"
wlan_scan_ap_load="YES"
wlan_scan_sta_load="YES"
wlan_wep_load="YES"
wlan_ccmp_load="YES"
wlan_tkip_load="YES"
wlan_xauth_load="YES"
wlan_acl_load="YES"
if_rum_load="YES"
if_zyd_load="YES"
#firmware_load="YES"

and in /etc/rc.conf
ifconfig_ath0="WEP DHCP" # if using dhcp

Entries that I blatantly I've copied reading the forum but them don't work to me, maybe I'm missing something usually in the publics libraries where I go to get wired one has wep an other is free. And only with this OS things go wrong