DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Security

OpenBSD Security Functionally paranoid!

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th April 2012
Port Guard

Default fresh install require file flags schg assigned to dir or files?

Hello All:

Would it be a good idea to assign schg to any files or direcotries after a fresh install of 5.0 to ensure they aren't mistakingly or intentionally altered? Also do most admins set up Tripwire on fresh installs?

Thanks,
Darryl
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th April 2012
More noise than signal

As a matter of practice, I don't. I take scheduled backups, track changes to etc and var with devel/git, and pay attention to security (8) logs.

Consider the operational impact of repair to a file in the event of a problem. You'll have to stop all apps and drop to single user mode at the very least.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st May 2012
Port Guard

Default Thanks jggimi

I've never heard of git, will have to review this and see how I can use it our environment. Thanks again for the excellent feedback.
Darryl
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st May 2012
More noise than signal

Like CVS, used with OpenBSD source and the Project's web pages, git is a version control system. I chose it for /etc and /var because unlike CVS, it manages file modes and ownerships, which are needed. It is far more powerful, but I'm not using that power.

I first used git with Android kernel and userland. I found the http://gitimmersion.com/ tutorial very helpful.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st May 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
git is a version control system...
A couple of other useful git references are:The general homepage has a lot of goodies which are worth poking through. There are a number of books out on git, but personally, I find the Chacon book the best. It is more in-depth than most.

Tags
fresh install, opebbsd5.0, schg, tripwire