DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th March 2011
Arp Constable

Default OpenBSD Packages question

The post in the News section of the forum by J65nko on Java applets brought up a couple of OpenBSD questions http://www.daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=5758:

1) My understanding is that the firefox35 port was for those who wanted to run the java plugin which was broken in the mozilla-firefox port. Although I am not a huge fan of java, the US government makes use of the applets on the NOAA sites for moving weather maps (the rotation of systems follows the right-hand rule for high vs low pressure sytems in the Northern Hemisphere).
Is this correct and after a suitable period of testing will the firefox35 port be removed?
2) The JRE package with plugin is a long grind to install. There is work on the openjdk port. Is it a goal to get the icedtea-plugin working?
3) I have been looking at Current packages and was wondering if there is pattern to the binary builds in current. During the two month code freeze for a new release do binary builds continue or does one rely on ports? I'm considering installing current on an amd64 box but would like to do so after the recent commits I've seen in openports are built (numerous xfce4 upgrades, pdfmod added).