DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading

FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th June 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Default FreeBSD making the move from CVS to Subversion

Link '
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th June 2008
Arp Constable

Wow, FreeBSD project has been using CVS for ages... So this kind of surprises me!

I wonder why the change?

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th June 2008
Coffee Addict

I think it's a good move since it seems like the pace of development of FreeBSD has increased in the past few years while technology of CVS is aging. The KDE project made the switch from CVS to Subversion about 3 years ago and it seems to have served them well. It seems like there will be a considerable amount of time for transition, but I hope they decide to move everything else over to Subversion too (ports, etc.). I think that would be less hassle than dealing with two systems.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th June 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Judging from the mailing list, it's not as if it's going to be that quick or drastic a move. Someone asked where is the documentation, and the answer was basically, it will come after we work out the bugs. (That's a GROSS oversimplification, but point being that though the move is in the works, for the moment, csup and such work, and when the change really happens it will be documented.)

As it is FreeBSD, one does think that the instructions for using it will be documented and when the change works well, people will be notified.
This isn't (excuse the little bitterness) RedHat where they remove a default named.conf and don't bother telling anyone.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th June 2008
Risen from the ashes

For normal users of FreeBSD, nothing has changed. You can still use csup/cvsup to update the ports tree and the source tree. You can still use http://cvsweb.freebsd.org to browse the source tree and review commit logs. As far as using FreeBSD goes...it's still the status quo.

If you are a FreeBSD committer, then things change. Now, commits go directly into SVN, and an automated process copies the commit into the CVS tree.

So, unless you are developing software for FreeBSD, that will be committed into the FreeBSD source tree, and you already have (or will be getting one soon) a commit bit, then nothing has changed.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th June 2008
Tcpdump Spy

Also note that only src moved to svn, ports, doc, and www will follow, but not for a while...

Will svn be added to FreeBSD base?
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th June 2008
ISO Quartermaster

From what I saw on the mailing lists, it seems that the eventual aim is to move it all over. However, as phoenix wrote, at present, the old ways work.

The topic started on the list when someone asked about documentation for it.
The general impression that I got from the answers was that it's still not quite ready for prime time, but when it is, proper user documentation will be done.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th June 2008
Arp Constable

I for one would _love_ seeing SVN brought into the base system and put to work in maintaining the system.

FreeBSD has always felt as if it was self sustaining to me, coming with editors, versioning system, C compiler+debugger, kernel debugger, documentation for system calls/stdlib/library/kernel routines, the ncurses library and some friends, just about every thing you need to work on FreeBSD that you could ever want short of syntax highlighting in nvi and nex.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th June 2008
Banned

SVN is rather large, I use it, but if it's included in FreeBSD base.. so must apr/apr-util/neon/bdb/libxml/libiconv/gettext..

If they plan on making a more, scaled down version of SVN.. perhaps knock out the Apache nonsense (svnserve only..), I would see that being useful.
Old 8th June 2008
Risen from the ashes

I think if Subversion were brought into the base, it would be only the client tools. The stuff you'd need to check out a source tree, work in a source tree, and check in changes. There's wouldn't really be a need for the full Subversion server to be in the base.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.