DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th July 2017
Arp Constable

Default Realtek 11n Wireless Adapters in the Pipeline - Realtek comments?

In my search for an pci-express, 11n wireless card for OpenBSD, I emailed Kevin Lo who had made commits to ral(4). Some of the ralink chipsets supported 11n and Ralink provided driver specs so the BSD drivers tended to work well. Rather than paraphrasing his email, I'l just quote it below:

"I'm going to add 11n and rtl8192eu supports for rtwn(4)/urtwn(4).
Sorry I don't plan to add 11n support for ral(4) due to lack of enough
amount of free time "

Realtek wireless cards are plentiful and cheap but I do not have a good handle on their realworld performance in OpenBSD. Any feedback on Realtek wireless in OpenBSD appreciated.

To the moderators: I mispelled Realtek in the Title and corrected it. The correction is not showing up in the OpenBSD General category. If you could correct I would appreciate it.

Last edited by shep; 30th July 2017 at 04:44 PM. Reason: typo
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th July 2017
OpenBSD language porter

I use urtwn(4) almost exclusively on machines that don't have internal wifi. Never had a problem.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th July 2017
Too dumb for a smartphone

I have rtwn built into my laptop. When support for it first came into OpenBSD I tested it. It did work but performance seemed a bit uneven to me ... it would slow down ... then speed up. My testing was not thorough, and I haven't tried it since then. The driver was ported to NetBSD and it seemed to work better there, but again, I haven't used it for quite a while. Possibly there have been changes in the interim.

Added:
Code:
rtwn0 at pci4 dev 0 function 0 "Realtek 8188CE" rev 0x01: msi                                                                   #
rtwn0: MAC/BB RTL8188CE, RF 6052 1T1R, address ...                                                                #

Last edited by IdOp; 31st July 2017 at 02:46 AM. Reason: add dmesg snippet
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th August 2017
just passing through

I've never been able to get anything like a reliable wireless network connection with OpenBSD. This is my current card:
$ dmesg | grep ral
Code:
ral0 at pci3 dev 1 function 0 "Ralink RT2561S" rev 0x00: apic 1 int 21, address 00:1f:1f:37:a0:d3
ral0: MAC/BBP RT2561C, RF RT2527
I might tinker with it again to explore the current wireless situation.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th August 2017
More noise than signal

IdOp, if you are a -current user, the *next* snapshot will have a repaired rtwn(4) driver for this chipset. There were uninitialized variables which caused a failure when compiled with clang -O2.

(I have the same chipset, of course. )
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th August 2017
Too dumb for a smartphone

Thanks for the update jggimi ! I'm not really a "user", it's more "install and fiddle a bit" a small number of times a year. Next time I have a good opportunity to download an iso I will, and see how it's doing now. By then the next snapshot should be out.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st August 2017
More noise than signal

The next several weeks would be a good time to test -current. It just entered the 6.2-beta phase, indicating the developers are looking for community testing and detailed bug reports.