DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading

FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th June 2008
Port Guard

Default FreeBSD 7.0 hard drive problems.

Hey all, i had a problem with mounting hard drives at boot or mounting them for installation back when freebsd 7.0 and 6.3 were released and no one seemed to have any idea what the problem was. im just curious now that the releases have been out for a few more months if anyone has seen this problem anywhere else.

what happens is if i boot a 7-stable 7.0-RELEASE or 6.3-RELEASE cd i go to the standard install and it tells me that it cannot find any hard disks. (i also had a problem where i couldnt use usb keyboards or the first button i pressed would stay pressed and i couldnt press anything but i fixed that with a usb to ps2 adapter) i tried using the fixit cd as well but when i tried to enter the fixit console it gave me issues about not being able to find any disks. 6.2-RELEASE installs perfectly fine on my system but when i do either a binary update or a source update (make buildworld make buildkernel make installkernel reboot make installworld) i go to reboot after installing the new kerenel and it tells me part way though the boot that it cannot mount the root partition. the computer im using is a Dell XPS 600 with a nvidia nforce4 motherboard. i have no problems with this system in any other OS nor did i have problems with it in freebsd 6.2-RELEASE. if anyone knows what is causing this problem please explain it to me. i would rather like to get back into a freebsd environment.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th June 2008
Package Pilot

What kind of disks are they? (SATA, SCSI, IDE, etc). That will help pinpoint what driver is used and then we can narrow it down from there.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th June 2008
Port Guard

SATA drives
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th June 2008
Port Guard

Give a try for install from CDs... and check the ISOs MD5 sums. Also make sure you are following the latest guidelines to buildworld. May be you have something especial in make.conf? Attach other HDDs... try on other systems. I.e. be inventive to try out ideas.
Anyway, the more tough problem seems, the more pedantic research to do.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th June 2008
Port Guard

Install CDs (7-stable, 6.3-release, 7.0-release):
cannot find the hard drives when you do a install procedure

Fixit CDs(same versions):
Boots up like an install cd, when i go into fix it it trys to mount a file system from the cd and cannot find the disc.

Upgrades from 6.2 to any version:
make buildworld checks out fine
make buildkernel checks out fine
make installkernel checks out fine
reboot cannot boot back into system because "the root partition cannot be found" meaning it cannot find the discs. binary upgrades react the same way at the reboot point.

this system has 3 different SATA discs in it all different models. freebsd 6.2 recognizes them so i think that it is a break in the driver. the discs work on other motherboards with SATA drives and all the checksums match up fine as well as multiple burns of the same discs having the same reaction. i have a strong feeling that this is a driver related to the motherboard that is causing this problem since USB keyboards and mice do not work either. im just clueless as to what approach i should take form this point.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th June 2008
Spam Deminer

I don't know if it would help but IIRC a
sata disk in _7 was recognized as /ad rather
than /da (IIRC) and I had to change the fstab
to get it to boot (might apply to the
upgrade-from-6.2). You might need a Freesbie (or
something) live cd. of the 3 liveCD's I have, only
one would grant permissions to change the fstab IIRC
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th June 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_daefo View Post
I don't know if it would help but IIRC a
sata disk in _7 was recognized as /ad rather
than /da (IIRC) and I had to change the fstab
to get it to boot (might apply to the
upgrade-from-6.2). You might need a Freesbie (or
something) live cd. of the 3 liveCD's I have, only
one would grant permissions to change the fstab IIRC
im pretty sure that all of these problems are the same thing. if the drives were being referenced as /ad* instead of /da* then the installer should be able to discover them. given that the fixit function couldn't discover the cd drive i don't think that it is mislabeling of the drives. ill try to download a copy of freesbie and see if i can boot of of it and get a dmsg. is the latest version based on the 6.3 or 7.0 codebase?

EDIT: i just checked and freesbie is based on the 6.2 codebase so booting up into it would not provide any valid information since i know that 6.2 works already.

Last edited by Errinok; 12th June 2008 at 08:31 PM.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th June 2008
Port Guard

My 7.0 installation with SATA II drives shows root as da0s1a.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th June 2008
Port Guard

thats how SATA drives should be labeled. my issue is that the freebsd cannot find any drives: cd, usb, floppy or SATA at all.

Last edited by Errinok; 18th June 2008 at 02:14 AM.