DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD General

NetBSD General Other questions regarding NetBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th July 2019
Port Guard

Exclamation Fighting with NetBSD installig packages

There is a video explaining how to install NetBSD 8.0. I followed that video, and theres is something I couldn't find in docs about NetBSD. Installing Bash and using pkgin inside it enables to install packages that in other way can't be installed.

In turn, when I tried to install xf86-input-vmware, xf86-input-keyboard and xf86-video-vmware... these packages are not in the repository at all.

Looking for the net I found theses packages in an ftp site of SmartOS, that uses NetBSD packages.

I downloaded these packages, I have installed video-vmware and input-vmmouse using pkg_add -f program_name.tgz.

The package xf86-input-keyboard gives an error that "keyring" not found, and can't be installed.

The question is, why, if the video shows how install those packages directly by using pkgin install program_name, those packages don't exist anymore in NetBSD repositories.

Using pkgsrc and make install clean gives an unrecoverable error about randrproto>1.6.0 is needed.

I hope NetBSD will update repositories, because it is very difficult to work this OS with.

Does anybody I help with this?

Thanks
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th July 2019
Arp Constable

NetBSD is complex and understaffed. There are actually 2 versions of Xorg: Monolithic and Modular.

Monolithic comes with the installer and is installed if you selected the x* install sets during install. xf86-input-keyboard is included with the Monolithic install. I do not know about the vmware packages but you may get a sense if there is a vmware man page with the default install.

Modular is an option for those who wish to build their own Xorg.

Also, there are 2 paths to packages:

1. Pre-built binary packages which are installed by pkgin or pkg_add.
2. Build your own packages from pkgsrc.

https://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en...ap-boot-pkgsrc
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th July 2019
Package Pilot

Hello, and welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luarini View Post
There is a video explaining how to install NetBSD 8.0
Hope you installed 8.1 though, since that's the latest formal release version, and 8.1 includes some important security fixes which haven't been backported to 8.0
Quote:
Installing Bash and using pkgin inside it enables to install packages
As you can confirm here under no circumstances should bash be a dependency for pkgin
Quote:
that in other way can't be installed
The simplest way of installing binaries is using pkg_add(1) from the native pkg_install framework, which is written in C and isvery fast, though it doesn't handle dependencies very well.
pkgin represents no more than a wrapper and an abstraction layer around the pkg_install suite, providing more features and a a modern UI, but also a higher degree of complexity. Another nice pkg_install wrapper is nih, which follows a totally different approach .

That said, pkgsrc is pretty much oriented towards compiling from source (I'm under the impression this sort of usage is implicitely encouraged and recommended in most scenarios), either natively using make, by cross-compiling through build.sh, or by relying on pkg_comp, which is a suite to automate package builds in a sandboxed env....as you can see, there's plenty of choice
Quote:
In turn, when I tried to install xf86-input-vmware, xf86-input-keyboard and xf86-video-vmware... these packages are not in the repository at all.
As shep already told rather exhaustively, a monolithic X version is already included by default in NetBSD's base, and all the related files should be located at /usr/X11R7/*, providing you chose 'Full Installation' as opposed to 'Installation without X' when prompted by sysinstall; the latter doesn't extract the x*.tgz binary sets, but doing it manually after installation requires literally no more than 2 commands.

Again, stressing shep's words, while pkgsrc also provides a modular (=split in the classical separate packages) version of Xorg, that is only meant for users who intend to tweak configure options, need the latest libraries and drivers available, or seek a very minimal X installation for embedded use; to sum up, modular Xorg is likely not what you're looking for.

xf86-input-keyboard and xf86-video-vmware can be both found in the monolithic X included in base, check out official sources at xsrc/external/mit
Quote:
Looking for the net I found theses packages in an ftp site of SmartOS, that uses NetBSD packages
Joyent's SmartOS repos provide pkgsrc binary packages for illumos, macOS and Linux only (at some point QNX), not NetBSD: most likely you downloaded a Linux or Solaris ELF which is never going to run on NetBSD! (...well, unless you enable Linux/SunOS binary emulation )
Quote:
The package xf86-input-keyboard gives an error that "keyring" not found, and can't be installed.

The question is, why, if the video shows how install those packages directly by using pkgin install program_name, those packages don't exist anymore in NetBSD repositories.
The answer is that the pkgsrc_2019Q2 quarterly branch has just been released and it usually takes some time for all binaries to be populate the latest repo (let's say it: they're really slow at carrying out this task and don't seem to care about it this much); on the plus side, they've had troubled getting rust-1.35 building on stable 8.x, which resulted in 300+ being broken (fortunately issue was fixed today by moving to 1.36): this may account for additional delay
Quote:
Using pkgsrc and make install clean gives an unrecoverable error about randrproto>1.6.0 is needed.
That's because whenever you decide to use modular Xorg, you need at least to specify it inside /etc/mk.conf, so that make(1) will know it has to pull all the required library dependencies from pkgsrc (rather than linking against base X11R7) in order to avoid incompatible versions, mismatches, unmet requirements, ultimately resulting in a dependency hell. This is all reasonably well explained in the official docs, see also this recent thread on the forum.
Quote:
hope NetBSD will update repositories, because it is very difficult to work this OS with.
On one hand I won't deny NetBSD is all but the prototype of the neophyte-friendly OS and can result quite irksome at times (add here the absolute lack of easily accesible tutorials)...nonetheless it's also true that NetBSD is just different, it thinks differently and has a different approach, philosophy, goals, target userbase... than Linux, Solaris or the other BSDs: you shouldn't expect it to work like something it isn't. Once understood this and grasped the basics, it becomes a very fun Unix system to work with, a pleasant never-ending discovery in its unique design

Last edited by Sehnsucht94; 30th July 2019 at 02:13 AM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st August 2019
Port Guard

Thumbs down Have you binary packages for xf86-input-keyboard?

Thank you...

At this time I have NetBSD 8.0 installed... but the question is how can I fix the error randrproto>1.6.0 needed, because of thera is no way found it in the net.

The documents I've seen say that xorgproto replaces randrproto, OK... but that thing does not fix the problem. I would like to see a binary package for xf86-input-keybord.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th August 2019
Port Guard

Default NetBSD 8.1 installed, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensucht94 View Post
Hello, and welcome
Hello...

I've installed NetBSD 8.1, then installed Xorg, graphics server works, including keyboard and mouse.

But after that I chose to install kde4 from /usr/pkgsrc/meta-pkg...

The case is that "make install clean" is running by two day or more now, but it is running an endless cycle. If I stop building by Ctrl-C and look into "packages" directory, there is nothing kde4 related there.

I think, it is a lot of time to build a package.

Last edited by ocicat; 4th August 2019 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Added missing [/quote] tag.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th August 2019
Arp Constable

NetBSD is overwhelmed with pkgsrc and the more complex your install, the more likely it is to break.

My stretegy is to scan what binaries the project is able to build.

http://cdn.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/pac...amd64/8.1/All/

If you browse the above link you will not find the KDE4 meta - it did not build on NetBSD's own build machines. LXDE, Mate and Xfce4 have meta packages.

If you try LXDE, a caution, you will have to export the XDG variable in order to start it.

https://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd...msg019993.html

For Xfce4, you can find some guides with a web search. I posted in one and was able to use the Xfce4 meta package if one package was initially loaded. Not sure if this still holds

https://slice2.com/2016/01/30/howto-...p-on-netbsd-7/

If your really want KDE4, you are either going to have to wait or troubleshoot it yourself..

Last edited by shep; 5th August 2019 at 01:30 AM.