DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th October 2008
Port Guard

Default FreeBSD Server issues

Hey guys,

Having a couple of issues with one of my freebsd servers that I don't seem to get to be able get a lot of information about and thought i'd shoot it by here.
The first one, when i turned on the screen it showed handle_workitem_freeblocks a couple of times on the sign in page.

I signed into the system and after searching online i read that i should chkdsk the disk, so i ran that and ended up with:

**Phase 5 - Check Cyl groups
FREE BLK COUNT(S) WRONG IN SUPERBLK

Not really sure why this ended up coming up, and can't seem to find much help in fixing it. So any help you guys could offer would help
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th October 2008
FreeBSD 2.2.6 User

Try booting into single user mode (hit '4' at the beastie text screen during the boot loader phase, right after your BIOS passes), and at the shell prompt run "fsck -y". Once that's done, exit the shell and your system will boot up normally. Let us know if you still have any errors after that point. Problems like free blk counts wrong in superblock are common after a system reboots uncleanly (power switch, power outage, etc).

Remember to always use the shutdown command to reboot or turn off your system so that it syncs the disks nicely.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th October 2008
Port Guard

i'm starting to think there is more wrong with this machine then just that. apache doesn't start, squid starts up, dansguardian doesn't start. using squid is slow, once i get dansguarding up and running it's worse then dialup...well have to keep diving and see
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th October 2008
Local

Time to start eliminating possibilities, then -- start with the fsck, as mentioned.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th October 2008
Port Guard

Well thanks guys i did the fsck -y thing and it worked...tried it once before but forgot about single user mode. go figure...the other issues turned out to be a DNS issue. it was trying to use a DNS that should be up and running but appears to be down...So i removed it, added opendns servers to it and it is all back up and running now.