DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th August 2008
Port Guard

Default Recommended network adapters

My laptop is using the msk driver for the onboard network adapter, and I experience problems with it when transferring large files. (see http://unix.derkeiler.com/Mailing-Li.../msg00023.html and http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/f...er/026114.html)

Since it's unreliable, what network adapters can you recommend, both wired and wireless? (My laptop has a PCMCIA slot and 2 extra USB ports so I could use them for the additional network interfaces)

Last edited by ebzzry; 26th August 2008 at 01:23 AM. Reason: minor corrections
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th August 2008
Computional Linguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebzzry View Post
My laptop is using the msk driver for the onboard network adapter, and I experience problems with it when transferring large files. (see http://unix.derkeiler.com/Mailing-Li.../msg00023.html and http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/f...er/026114.html)

Since it's unreliable, what network adapters can you recommend, both wired and wireless? (My laptop has a PCMCIA slot and 2 extra USB ports so I could use them for the additional network interfaces)
I have used a Linksys WUSB54G on my laptop (with FreeBSD 7.0-Release), and it worked. Although, I didn't do tons of testing, just some internet browsing.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th August 2008
Tcpdump Spy

I always use 3Com Etherlink 3c90x cards, they ``just work'' on just about any OS ... You can pick them up secondhand for a couple of euro a piece (If not cheaper).
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th August 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
I always use 3Com Etherlink 3c90x cards, they ``just work'' on just about any OS ... You can pick them up secondhand for a couple of euro a piece (If not cheaper).
OK. Do those have a PCMCIA / USB version?
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th August 2008
Tcpdump Spy

Do'h ... Laptop ... Forget my comment ... I'm an idiot who can't read ...
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th August 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
Do'h ... Laptop ... Forget my comment ... I'm an idiot who can't read ...
It's OK. You rushed to answer because you wanted to help asap, most likely. It's fine. :-)
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th August 2008
Risen from the ashes

For strictly 10/100, look for 32-bit PC-Cards (PCMCIA is 16-bit) with integrated ports. Don't get anything with a dongle, as you'll end up losing it, the crappy little connectors will break, and it will just annoy the heck out of you.

Linksys, SMC, Belkin, and probably many others, make some nice ones. Don't get the 3Com ones, as they require Type-III (or two Type-II) slots. The others only require single Type-II slots, as the port stick out and above the slot.

You should be able to pick these up for next to nothing at FutureShop, BestBuy, Circuit City, Radio Shack, etc. The last one I bought was around $25 CDN, and that was over two, maybe three, years ago.

Can't help you with gigabit NICs, as I've never looked for PC-Card versions of them.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th August 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
For strictly 10/100, look for 32-bit PC-Cards (PCMCIA is 16-bit) with integrated ports. Don't get anything with a dongle, as you'll end up losing it, the crappy little connectors will break, and it will just annoy the heck out of you.

Linksys, SMC, Belkin, and probably many others, make some nice ones. Don't get the 3Com ones, as they require Type-III (or two Type-II) slots. The others only require single Type-II slots, as the port stick out and above the slot.

You should be able to pick these up for next to nothing at FutureShop, BestBuy, Circuit City, Radio Shack, etc. The last one I bought was around $25 CDN, and that was over two, maybe three, years ago.

Can't help you with gigabit NICs, as I've never looked for PC-Card versions of them.
OK. Instead of asking you an exhaustive list of what I should get, aside from 3COM, what else should I *not* get.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th August 2008
Risen from the ashes

If this is just a personal-use laptop, where you won't be doing a lot of heavy, continuous, high-bandwidth transfers over long periods of time, then just about any 32-bit PC-Card NIC with an integraded RJ-45 port will be fine.

If you will be doing lots of high-bandwidth, long-term, continuous transfers, then don't get anything that uses RealTek chipsets, or that interfaces with USB.

See what's available at your local computer store, write down names and model numbers, then do online searches to see what chipsets are used.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.
Old 26th August 2008
Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebzzry
... what network adapters can you recommend, both wired and wireless?
For a couple more PCMCIA wireless recommendations, see this thread: http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=1424
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
If this is just a personal-use laptop, where you won't be doing a lot of heavy, continuous, high-bandwidth transfers over long periods of time, then just about any 32-bit PC-Card NIC with an integraded RJ-45 port will be fine.

If you will be doing lots of high-bandwidth, long-term, continuous transfers, then don't get anything that uses RealTek chipsets, or that interfaces with USB.

See what's available at your local computer store, write down names and model numbers, then do online searches to see what chipsets are used.
OK. I'll do that.
Old 27th August 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomie View Post
For a couple more PCMCIA wireless recommendations, see this thread: http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=1424
OK. Thanks the tip.
Old 27th August 2008
VPN Cryptographer

One thing: Please do not give up on getting the original adapter's driver fixed! The developers are eager to fix these sorts of problems, and often all they need is a determined, capable user to assist them in troubleshooting and fixing the issue. Yes, get another adapter so you can work, but also keep working on the original problem.

If you can run tcpdump to get traces on what is happening to the packets, apply patches and rebuild, you can probably get the problem fixed for everybody!
Old 27th August 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbak View Post
One thing: Please do not give up on getting the original adapter's driver fixed! The developers are eager to fix these sorts of problems, and often all they need is a determined, capable user to assist them in troubleshooting and fixing the issue. Yes, get another adapter so you can work, but also keep working on the original problem.

If you can run tcpdump to get traces on what is happening to the packets, apply patches and rebuild, you can probably get the problem fixed for everybody!
OK. But so far there is no fix for the msk driver problem yet. :-(