DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th March 2009
Administrator

Default An in-depth interview with Steve Bourne, creator of the Bourne shell, or sh

See http://www.computerworld.com.au/arti...ourne_shell_sh
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th March 2009
Arp Constable

Didn't even know he was still among the living! Good read though :-)

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th March 2009
Banned

I read it yesterday, it saddens me that he uses Linux and bash.. never really learnt to like either really, OpenBSD's pdksh is my style.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th March 2009
Arp Constable

Different walks of life, different tastes BSDfan. Even though he uses bash, some how I doubt his muscle memory [sic] has grown to far beyond the 1980s ;-)

As far as I know the Almquist shell was meant to resemble the sh behavior found in the System V family + a few choice BSD extensions. Modern BSD* / Debian variants fooling with that where ever desired (*except OpenBSDs great variant of pdksh hehe) and some push towards POSIX compliance later on. I'm not very familiar with sh as found in UNIX Version 7 when Bournes shell first debuted, but it seems that between System III and the later 4BSD releases, common implementations of sh grew enough shell scripting features that make life usable today. At the end of the day -> most "modern" implementations are just a Bourne-style shell with feature creep

shells/v7sh (unix version 7, sys III, 4.3BSD-reno hybrid) and FreeBSDs /bin/sh (Almquist variant) are actually quite livable for both scripting and interactive usage, minor issues with aliases/functions aside the only part that really sucks is the lack of modern line editing lol.

Unless you go into implementation specific stuff or expect decent POSIX conformance, I honestly don't think things have changed much since the early 90s / mid 80s - aside from most users demanding job control and line editing as standard issue rather then calling it a luxury. GNU bash, OpenBSDs pdksh variant, and the Korn Shell '93 are all great shells for interactive & scripting use. (ksh93 has very interesting key binding/completion behavior.) Especially for the interactive usage bash/korn are much improved. zsh allowing '$ man foo<tab completion>' is wonderful for navigating multi-page documentation, can also be pretty damn awesome at times lol.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.