DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD Installation and Upgrading

NetBSD Installation and Upgrading Have trouble getting NetBSD on your toaster?

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th May 2009
Arp Constable

Default No Screen during NetBSD 5.0 install

I was going to try NetBSD on on old MSI-6368 motherboard with a Via C3-2 CPU. http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=pr...od_no=282#menu

As the dvdrw spools up the bios screen briefly flashes on then I have no screen output. The cd continues to spin in the dvdrw drive and the system will reboot w/ CTL-ALT-DEL. FreeBSD, OpenBSD and Slackware generate install screens.

Am I whizzin the wind trying to install NetBSD or did I miss simple fix?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th May 2009
Package Pilot

You don't even get the CD booting the installer? Maybe a faulty CD? You can easily test that by booting it on another machine or in a virtual machine.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th May 2009
Arp Constable

I believe the CD boots - it is just that I do not get to the "Welcome to sysinstall...." screen. I see a brief bios table and then the screen goes blank.
The LED on the DVD drive is green and the drive makes the usual noise.
The keyboard after all that works since I can <CTL><ALT><DEL> to a reboot.

I believe that it has something to do with the default vga screen in the installer. There may be messages prompts there the moniter generates no visual output.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th May 2009
Package Pilot

Could you try the ctrl+D and see if that brings you to a shell prompt?
Also, download one of the NetBSD live CD's (say, www.jibbed.org) and try to boot into it. It is also based on NetBSD 5.0.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st May 2009
Arp Constable

<CTL>D would not generate any screen output.
The live CD appeared to boot and did some things and eventually powered off but again did not generate any video output. Tested the 5.0 cd in another machine with a radeon agp card and it worked fine.
4.0.1 generated a very low resolution Welcome screen and if I left 5.0 in long enough eventually the moniter would generate a message "Video mode not supported"

Is there a way to pass video modes to the boot kernel as one does in linux
eg vga=771?
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd June 2009
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep View Post
<CTL>D would not generate any screen output.
The live CD appeared to boot and did some things and eventually powered off but again did not generate any video output. Tested the 5.0 cd in another machine with a radeon agp card and it worked fine.
4.0.1 generated a very low resolution Welcome screen and if I left 5.0 in long enough eventually the moniter would generate a message "Video mode not supported"
Unfortunatelly I cannot help you on this, the best thing is to write to one of the NetBSD mailing lists and include verbose dmesg with as much other info as possible, and then wait for someone to respond.
Quote:
<Is there a way to pass video modes to the boot kernel as one does in linux
eg vga=771?
Something similar is possible with -CURRENT, see this: http://blog.netbsd.org/tnf/entry/hea...buffer_console
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th October 2009
Arp Constable

I think I found the problem

I have several Via C3 powered systems - they were cheap and efficient. I think a lightweight netbsd system would be a good match.

I'm guessing I have to install and retain the NetBSD 1.6.2 bootloader but Iwould like to end up with 5.0.1 rather than version 3.0.1 (described in the above link) Anyone done this? Any other suggestions about how install 5.0.1 on a Via C3? Good thing I put in a floppy on one of Via C3 systems that runs Slackware - at least I can make the boot floppies.

Another thought would be to install a minimal Slackware system with lilo. Make the 4th partition a NetBSD file system. Copy the NetBSD install sets to linux and extract them to the 4th
partition. Then add the appropriate NetBSD entry to lilo. I've tried googling for a howto but haven't had much luck. Anyone aware if this is even possible and if so know where some instructions can be found?

Last edited by shep; 15th October 2009 at 09:45 PM. Reason: another thought
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th October 2009
Too dumb for a smartphone

Quote:
Another thought would be to install a minimal Slackware system with lilo. Make the 4th partition a NetBSD file system. Copy the NetBSD install sets to linux and extract them to the 4th partition.
AFAIK the Linux support for BSD filesystem [type ufs, ufstype=44bsd] is read-only, so you couldn't copy anything onto it from there. (At least this is the case on Slackware 11.0 and 12.2 which I run. Haven't tried the latest-and-greatest 13.0.)