DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD General

NetBSD General Other questions regarding NetBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th May 2013
New User

Default Kaiomy KM8139D driver

Hi everyone, this is my first Unix system and I'm working on a NetBSD server and I have a bunch of Network Cards mentioned above but NetBSD don't recognize this exact NIC. I've tested a Realtek 8139D and it worked fine (but it was borrowed).

In the driver CD I have a FreeBSD driver available for the Kaiomy cards,
I wonder if I could somehow translate the FreeBSD driver so it can work on my NetBSD system. Is there a way of doing it?

By the way the port is i386 and the dmesg of the device is "vendor 0x1904 product 0x2031 (ethernet network, revision 0x01) at pci0 dev 9 function 0 not configured"
Thanks.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th May 2013
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickssc View Post
In the driver CD I have a FreeBSD driver available for the Kaiomy cards,
I wonder if I could somehow translate the FreeBSD driver so it can work on my NetBSD system. Is there a way of doing it?
Only if the source code is available. If source is available, you may be able to use the advice found in NetBSD's Notes on porting FreeBSD network drivers to NetBSD to assist with porting of the FreeBSD driver.
Quote:
Hi everyone, this is my first Unix system...
Please be aware that NetBSD and FreeBSD were derived from separate forks of 4.4BSD-Lite in 1994 and have been on divergent paths for twenty years.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th May 2013
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
Please be aware that NetBSD and FreeBSD were derived from separate forks of 4.4BSD-Lite in 1994 and have been on divergent paths for twenty years.
I meant Unix-like systems. Sorry about that.

Anyway I see that they're not entirely different from each other, the author of the port code isn't active since 2005 and apparently his code was stopped when he got what he wanted. I couldn't find any other way of doing it, just translating the whole code from one syntax to another. I have the source by the way.

I still don't want to give up on this OS for my server nor my network cards. Isn't there a way of using the Realtek 8139D drivers to work "forcibly" with my Kaiomy 8139D cards? I know they shouldn't be so much different from each other.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st May 2013
New User

If I change the recognition of the rtl.4 driver to find this vendor and pci of this card I think it can work, force it to be "seen" by the system. Someone knows what file the Vendor IDs are stored for comparison by the kernel in order to recognize? I've found the sys/dev/ic/rtl81x9reg.h file with some entries, does someone already tried such thing? Am I on the right path?

Regards.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st May 2013
More noise than signal

I don't use NetBSD. In OpenBSD, PCI recognition is performed first.

In OpenBSD, the PCI vendor 0x1904 is listed as Silan, not Kaiomy, in src/sys/dev/pci/pcidevs and its related files pcidevs.h and pcidevs_data.h. In OpenBSD, these latter files are regenerated and not edited directly.

I don't know enough about your device to know if it emulates the Realtek 8139 sufficiently to be able to use the IC driver without further alterations.

Tags
driver, freebsd, netbsd, network, realtek