DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD Package System (pkgsrc)

NetBSD Package System (pkgsrc) Installation and upgrading of packages on NetBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st September 2008
Port Guard

Default Modular xorg binary packages for i386?

Is there anywhere I can get binary packages of modular xorg for the i386 architecture? For some reason the package seems not to exist on the main mirror; modular-xorg-server is only for x86_64, and metapackages such as modular-xorg-libs are nowhere to be seen....
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd September 2008
OFM Addict

I do provide binary packages via anonymous FTP. If you trust me I'll give you the address.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st July 2019
Port Guard

Default Have you binary packages for xf86-input-keyboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meta_Ridley View Post
I do provide binary packages via anonymous FTP. If you trust me I'll give you the address.
I need a binary package for xf86-input-keyboard.

I'm using NetBSD 8.0.

Thanks.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st July 2019
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luarini View Post
I need...
You are reaching out to someone who last visited this forum in August of 2009. That's 10 years ago.

You might have better success contacting NetBSD's official support channels.

http://www.netbsd.org/community/
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th August 2019
Port Guard

Default OK, let me know the address

Quote:
I need a binary package for xf86-input-keyboard.

I'm using NetBSD 8.0.

Thanks.
Hello... thanks.

Send me thr ftp address, and I'll see to download the binary.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th August 2019
OpenBSD language porter

Code:
$ sudo pkg_add modular-xorg
If that doesn't work, you'll have to build it yourself from pkgsrc.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th August 2019
Port Guard

Default It does not work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibara View Post
Code:
$ sudo pkg_add modular-xorg
If that doesn't work, you'll have to build it yourself from pkgsrc.
It does not work, and using pkgsrc is useless, because there is an unrecoverable error, needed randrproto >= 1.6.0... but the last release of randrproto is 1.5.0 or so.

There is no docs in the net telling how to solve that issue, and the mainteiner don't explain how to.

Conclusion, in this moment NetBSD is a useless desktop operativing system, like OpenBSD, MidnightBSD and DragonFLyBSD.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th August 2019
Arp Constable

Quote:
It does not work, and using pkgsrc is useless, because there is an unrecoverable error, needed randrproto >= 1.6.0... but the last release of randrproto is 1.5.0 or so.

Conclusion, in this moment NetBSD is a useless desktop operativing system, like OpenBSD, MidnightBSD and DragonFLyBSD.
I agree with you, pkrsrc is riddled with errors and by and large, is oblivious to the fact.

If you look at pkgsrc-bulk,
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-bulk/
the majority of commits are done by Joyvent and are for non-NetBSD systems. Most of these non-NetBSD systems have their own package infrastructure and I can't see why anyone would use pkgsrc builds over native packages.

All NetBSD packages are built on x86_64 machines - other architectures are cross-compiles. IMHO, pkgsrc needs to quit trying to be all things to all OS's. Instead pkgsrc should focus on providing stable, reliable builds for NetBSD systems

Last edited by shep; 9th August 2019 at 01:15 PM.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th August 2019
OpenBSD language porter

I agree. Complaining about something that people work on for free mostly in their own free time and on their own dime is a vastly superior approach compared to perhaps something like alerting them to the problems you're encountering. Or worse--learning something about pkgsrc and fixing it, thus benefitting yourself and the community.

A Google search for "randrproto 1.6.0" turned this link up as the first hit: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=105287
So it looks like this was an upstream change to Xorg. Perhaps you would be better off reporting this to pkgsrc. It seems clear that NetBSD assumes the use of their in-base Xorg. If you need the pkgsrc modular-xorg instead, then you are clearly using a setup that nearly everyone else is not. Now, that's not a bad thing. But it does mean that things like this slip through the cracks. I'm sure they'll appreciate a report with that link attached so it can be fixed.

Then I went ahead and looked at the pkgsrc-bulk list. I found a mail from July 28, so not even two weeks ago, about the results of the latest bulk build on NetBSD 8.0/i386. Turns out that 18,454 out of 20,282 packages built. That's a little over 91% of packages built. Is modular-xorg one of the packages that failed? Yes. But it seems that if you can use in-base xorg, then pkgsrc will provide a very rich experience of packages.

A little bit of data suggests that NetBSD does provide stable, reliable package builds that prioritize NetBSD over other operating systems. And you can make it better. All it will take is a (not openly hostile) email to the pkgsrc people.
Old 9th August 2019
Port Guard

Smile Thank. I Just need some drivers...

Thank you again. Some drivers is all I need.

In my case Xorg is almost installed and configured... but in example, xf86-input-keyboard, xf86-video-vmware, both depend on the "ghost" package... randrproto. I say "ghost" because until now I have not seen a package with such a name in the net.

And as you see, and I agree, this issue, at least by now, has no solution...

Thank you.

I´ll see what can I do.

Old 9th August 2019
OpenBSD language porter

Quote:
And as you see, and I agree, this issue, at least by now, has no solution...
That is literally not what I said. I said the opposite.

You didn't even read the Xorg link I provided. So I'll quote the relevant comment from that page:
Quote:
Originally Posted by https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=105287
Michel Dänzer 2018-02-28 10:31:38 UTC

You need to use https://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/proto/xorgproto now.
And sure enough, xorgproto is a package:
http://pkgsrc.se/x11/xorgproto

So what you should go do now is write an email to the pkgsrc people telling them this. You can even link them to this thread if you feel like you're unable to explain it. The pkgsrc people will be able to figure it out from my posts.
Old 9th August 2019
Arp Constable

If you peruse the 8.1/i386 package list you will not find a supported version of firefox. The project has been unable to build the i386 devel/rust dependency for over 3 quarters. After 2 quarters, it finally built on an x86_64 8.1 architecture. Still not building on 7.2/x86_64. Midori and netsurf also do not build. www/vimb is building on a webkitgtk version that has multiple cve's. That same webkitgtk version was updated in OpenBSD 2 months ago and was available to NetBSD prior to starting the 2019Q2 builds

I also emailed NetBSD port maintainers that had out-of-date/broken ports with either patches or links to fixes. I've never had a response.

Time and again, newbies post here about overwhelming build problems

I would repeat that newbies should review the packages presently building on their architecture and decide if it meets their needs. Do not mix binary packages unless pkgsrc temporally matches that used for the binaries. Lastly, do not assume that you will easily be able to build a package that the developers can not.

Last edited by shep; 11th August 2019 at 12:11 AM.
Old 10th August 2019
Port Guard

Xorgproto is not the problem... it could be compiled from source. Not a package.
But the issue is randrproto. No matter what you do, that issue is present always.
Old 10th August 2019
Port Guard

I have read this... https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=105287, but there is nothing there giving some help to fix the issue.
Old 10th August 2019
OpenBSD language porter

You fail to understand the issue. Which is why I told you to alert the pkgsrc people instead of fixing it yourself. The freedesktop.org thread explains everything you need to fix the problem. It's ok that you can't fix it. But then you should inform someone who can.