DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd May 2020
Package Pilot

Default Updating package

I've read the faq about following current and about ports and there is still something that confuses me. So, at the risk of displaying my ignorance:

You're following -current and you've got package-1.0 installed.
Now package-1.1 is available.
You do sysupgrade -s
pkg_add -u

Do you now have package-1.1 or does this involve having to deal with CVS and ports?

Thanks
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd May 2020
More noise than signal

If you're using installurl(5) and one of the architectures for which the Project maintains snapshot packages, you only need pkg_add(1).

Note that the snapshots and snapshot packages may not be in sync, as they are built at different cadences. In the event libraries or other dependencies are out-of-sync, pkg_add(1) will not update affected packages. The general guidance is to wait a day or two and try again. If the matter is urgent, *then* you can consider building the updated package from the ports tree.

If you're running an architecture that does not have snapshot packages available, the ports tree must be used.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th May 2020
Package Pilot

So, if I understand you correctly, as long as I'm running -current and occassionally running sysupgrade -s and pkg_add -u I should be fine as far as updating packages goes. There is no need for me to mess around with CVS and a current ports tree.

Thanks,jggimi
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th May 2020
More noise than signal

Yep.

And if you ever want the ports tree without CVS, you can download the ports.tar.gz tarball from <mirror>/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/, or clone the Project's github mirror.