DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st August 2015
Shell Scout

Question Macbook Pro 11,1

Hello,

I'm trying to install OpenBSD on this hardware. I have used REfIT and am able to successfully boot off of my USB installation image. With 5.7 I make it to the "Install / Update / Shell" prompt but the keyboard does not work (nor does a USB keyboard that I have tried) and with the latest 5.8 snapshot, I don't even make it that far.

What would people recommend for me to do diagnostically to capture relevant information so I can try and figure out what is going on?

Or is this a known "no-go" piece of hardware?

Thanks in advance all!
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd August 2015
Fdisk Soldier

I have not really a answer for you sorry but this was discussed at misc@ in 2014

http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabbl...-td257066.html

Try searching the list with the link above or at http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc and / or ask at misc@ for the current status if that sounds like your problem.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th August 2015
Shell Scout

@NaWi - thanks for the pointers. Not sure why my Google foo failed me there. I did specifically search the mailing list archive and came up dry. Sorry.

Any suggestions from the group on diagnostic information I could gather to submit with my request to @misc? Should I boot with the -d switch and trace through where it's going south or something? Seems like the USB 3.0 stuff that is in -current should have addressed the "there is no USB 2" part of this.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th August 2015
Fdisk Soldier

No problem, we are all human and try to help if possible. Sometimes things doesn't work as they should.

I am new to OpenBSD but try out what the -d option shows you. If you got the prompt to start the installation, the kernel had no problem - only the keyboard does not work. The main problem is, that you can't provide a dmesg for the list to solve the problem. If you have a second machine / the right equiptment, have a look at this

https://jcs.org/notaweblog/2014/09/1..._openbsd_on_a/

maybe you can modify it and remotly install / ssh in your machine to install and get a dmesg ... even it is at the moment not useable.

There is also a post here in the forum to the shown tool in the post (but I think it is to old to work).

Important is, if you ask at misc@ explain them what you do and also, why you don't do things (like, no dmesg because of no working keyboard) - it shows, that you made your homework as good as you can.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th August 2015
Shell Scout

Looks like a PXEboot with autoinstall might be worth pursuing. I'll give it a shot tonight when I get home. I have an OpenBSD box that I'm using as my router/firewall at home that I could set up the tftp server on...
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th August 2015
Fdisk Soldier

That would also work.
If the keyboard doesn't work after install, look to autologin a user and, copy the dmesg over the network using a automatically executed script.

See also http://www.bsdnow.tv/tutorials/autoinstall

Last edited by NaWi; 24th August 2015 at 06:35 PM.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th August 2015
Shell Scout

@NaWi,

First attempt was a failure that sent me down an interesting path. Apparently the default install of rEFInd does not include PXE boot capabilities. To get that, I had to build IPXE (an open source EFI PXE boot project) from source. Unfortunately it only builds from Linux so I had to install a Linux VM on VMWare on the Mac side and chase down all of the dependencies and libraries I needed to install to get it built.

The good news is that I have finally managed to get a working rEFInd install that will PXE boot so tonight I should be able to give this a shot.

On an alternate path, I have ordered USB to RS232 cables with a null modem cable to connect them from monoprice. They should come in today or tomorrow. My goal for this conglomeration of hardware is to use them to boot from a serial console if the PXE and autoinstall process doesn't get me where I need to be.

I think this just turned into a quest...

:-)
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th August 2015
Fdisk Soldier

A big quest ...

Don't know about USB to RS232 but it is a good question. Another idea is to check, whether there is something like a USB compatiblity mode over the EFI console (the old REFIT had it) - or whether it is a driver problem.

I have here a MacBook Pro 9,1 from mid 2012 but I never tried OpenBSD on it. I tried FreeBSD on it but the developer doesn't update asmc so I gave this up. Maybe I should try it ...
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th August 2015
More noise than signal

I use USB-> RS-232 for console connections to Alix systems. They are "one-direction" devices.

The OpenBSD bootloader uses BIOS services for I/O. It will not recognize a USB attached TTY.

Therefore:

The USB side of the connection is used on the system where the admin runs a terminal with cu(1) or tip(1). The serial side of the connection is used on the system being booted.

Last edited by jggimi; 27th August 2015 at 05:58 PM. Reason: typo, clarity
Old 27th August 2015
Shell Scout

@jggimi

Unfortunately I don't have any devices that have an actual RS-232 port on them anymore so my thought was to have a USB->RS-232 on the Mac, another USB-RS-232 on my Thinkpad and a null modem cable connecting them. Then I can connect from my Thinkpad to the Mac's remote serial console.

Am I crazy or will this work?

If not, I do have an old SunBlade 100 (Sparc64) sitting in a closet that I could probably resurrect. Not sure if it has a serial port but it would be my best hope.
Old 27th August 2015
More noise than signal

If the Mac does not have a real RS-232 port, you won't be able to use a serial console. If it has one, then one of these USB devices will work fine, as long as you select one with the right cabling.

(I connect my USB dongle to a null-modem cable, but I had one of those already.)
Old 27th August 2015
Fdisk Soldier

Ahh, never used this cables.
The Mac has no RS232 port. I think the problem will be, that the OpenBSD bootloader uses BIOS / EFI services for boot but at the times the USB drivers (and so on) are loaded, the not working keyboard which is internally connected using USB is back. And I think, that will effect all USB ports.

If that is solved, the fan control, which is controlled using Apples SMC will be the next problem. Even you use the CPU's step down functions using apmd and the C state control in 5.8 CURRENT ...
Old 27th August 2015
More noise than signal

The bootloader uses BIOS services for all I/O. USB keyboards work only when the BIOS provides a legacy emulation layer. On amd64/i386 architectures, this may be PS/2 emulation.

The bootloader can be configured to assign a specific console device -- see boot(8) -- but the device must be visible to the bootloader. And those devices are only presented by the BIOS. I am unaware of any BIOS that provides a legacy emulation layer for a USB serial controller.

On OpenBSD, USB serial controllers require a running kernel. Which means a running system.

The applicable ucom(4) driver will be utilized upon USB attachment, based on device identifier match by the kerrnel. Userland access is via controlling device nodes /dev/ttyU* and /dev/cuaU*.

The TL;DR - "Nope."

Last edited by jggimi; 27th August 2015 at 07:08 PM. Reason: clarity. clarity. clarity. And then restructuring for more clarity.
Old 27th August 2015
Fdisk Soldier

Thanks for the info.
We will see, maybe it will simple work.
Old 27th August 2015
Fdisk Soldier

Installed a OpenBSD 5.8 CURRENT (not the latest) on my MacBook Pro 9,1. Everything till X worked but only sensor data for batt / AC, lid and only one for the CPU itself. The CPU temp. is at 67 degrees celsius after boot and login at X.

Fan control, keyboard backlight, screen brightness and so on, is done over the smc - but my device is also not supported from FreeBSD's asmc.

Only as information, I see no needs to solve this points.
Old 30th August 2015
Shell Scout

So, here's the latest. I set up httpd and tftpd on my OpenBSD router at home and got the installation sets in the correct directory per the instructions here (http://www.bsdnow.tv/tutorials/autoinstall). When I used the Thunderbolt to Ethernet dongle with the Mac, the iPXE capability I enabled in rEFIt did appear to connect to the network and download the auto_install file (bsd.mp actually). However, it errored out on me (please see the attached image). Any ideas?

[Edit] Looks like either I'm doing the image tag wrong or the forum doesn't like the site I posted to. here's the text hand-transcribed:

--- snip ---
Next server: 192.168.1.1
Filename: auto_install
tftp://192.168.1.1/auto_install... ok
auto_install: 81092 bytes
Could not boot image: Exec format error (http://ipxe.org/2e008081)
No more network devices

Last edited by bceverly; 30th August 2015 at 01:29 PM. Reason: IMG tag didn't work
Old 30th August 2015
Shell Scout

From reading the iPXE.org referenced web page, it looks like a UEFI version of iPXE can't run ELF binaries? Or am I reading this wrong? If so, I think I'm at an impasse here.
Old 30th August 2015
More noise than signal

? I thought the Macbooks use Intel processors. If so, then the filename that must be passed is for the bootloader, pxeboot, and not "auto_install". As described in the pxeboot(8) man page for amd64 or i386 architectures.

Perhaps, not being a Mac user, I'm missing something?
Old 30th August 2015
Shell Scout

@jggimi

I was basing my config off of:

http://www.bsdnow.tv/tutorials/autoinstall

Let me hit the manpage and see what I did wrong.
Old 30th August 2015
More noise than signal

PXE boots occur in phases.
  1. The booting system initiates a DHCP client broadcast.
  2. The DHCP server responds with IP addressing, a file name to be loaded ("filename"), and optionally the address of a TFTP server. if at a different address ("next-server").
  3. The booting system makes a TFTP connection and requests transfer of the file into memory, and passes control to it.
For OpenBSD, this must be the first stage bootloader, pxeboot(8). This bootloader is similar in operation to the standard first stage bootloader, biosboot(8). The difference is that it uses the TFTP server as the source of any etc/boot.conf file, and uses TFTP to load kernels that are not specified by device.

Once the bsd.rd kernel has been successfully loaded, only then will autoinstall(8) be utilized.

Both autoinstall(8) and pxeboot(8) are reliant on DHCP to pass a filename and optionally a next-server. But DHCPd cannot pass two different filename values.

Therefore this paragraph from autoinstall(8) applies:
Code:
     On architectures where the filename statement is used to provide the name
     of the file to netboot it is necessary to create symbolic links called
     auto_install and auto_upgrade that point to the expected boot program and
     to change the value of the filename statement in the dhcpd.conf(5
I have not used autoinstall, but it appears to me that you need to save (or set symbolic links for) the pxeboot(8) bootloader as "auto_install" in your TFTPd server's base directory. This is a different directory than the HTTP server supplying auto_install as a script.

Last edited by jggimi; 31st August 2015 at 04:18 AM. Reason: clarity