DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th July 2015
Port Guard

Default kde4-minimal minimalising

HellO!
I use Openbox on my laptop, but now want to try something new. I love kde-style, but dont like the bunch of utilities with it.
So, if i install kde4-minimal ill get what i want, but there is still something unnecessary like Konqueror, Klipper, Kate, Nepomuk Backup and Cleaner, Akonaditray.

Can i just remove them and run pkg_delete -a after? Im asking it cuz i scare to do it on my working machine right now

PS: OpenBSD 5.8 beta latest snapshot
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th July 2015
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oficre_josef View Post
Can i just remove them and run pkg_delete -a after?
I'm not a user of any of the meta packages, and cannot recall which packages are considered "manually" installed, and which are considered "automatically" installed. I recommend that before beginning to make changes, compare the output of $ pkg_info -m with the output of $ pkg_info, in order to determine which programs are considered "manually" installed and which are "automatic". This is because, # pkg_delete -a will delete any automatically installed packages that are no longer needed by any manually installed package.

You can switch packages from one state to the other, if needed. To make a manually installed package "automatic," use # pkg_add -aa <package>. To make an automatically installed package "manual", use # pkg_add <package>.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th July 2015
Port Guard

I have only this manually installed:
kde-l10n-ru-4.14.3p1 K Desktop Environment, language localization pack
kde4-minimal-4.14.3p1 KDE4 desktop meta-package (minimal installation)
kdeplasma-addons-4.14.3p2 extra KDE plasmoids

So i guess everything else in the kde including Konqueror, Klipper, Kate, Nepomuk Backup and Cleaner, Akonaditray installed automatically.
I thought someone did something like i want...
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th July 2015
More noise than signal

You can do this, if you wish. Set the packages you want to retain to "manual" before you execute # pkg_delete -a.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th July 2015
Port Guard

If i set automatically installed package as "manual", delete it and then run pkg_delete -a it would delete only this package dependencies or i got it wrong?
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th July 2015
More noise than signal

Automatic packages are installed when they are dependencies of a package being installed. If package "A" and "B" are requested to be installed by a pkg_add command, both will be recorded as manual. If package "C" is a dependency of "A" or "B", but it was not named on the command line, it will be recorded as automatic when it is installed. As I've learned here today from you, all underlying packages of a meta-package such as kde4-minimal are considered automatic, as they are not named on the command line..

The only difference between an automatic and a manual package are what happens when # pkg_delete -a is executed.
  • Every package is inspected.
  • Manual packages are ignored.
  • If a package is marked automatic, it will be deleted if it is no longer needed.
  • Any automatic package that is a required dependency will be retained.
You can either set your meta-package to automatic and the packages you want to retain to manual, or don't use the meta package, instead manually installing the KDE applications and libraries you wish to have.

Those of us who find KDE, Gnome, or XFCE integrated workstation environments too large or too busy use other window managers. OpenBSD had more than forty X11 window managers available, the last time I checked.