Originally Posted by roddierod View Post
$12k for Visual Studio!? thats insane.
Old 16th July 2010
Tcpdump Spy

PC + lightning = http://arp242.net/tmp/itmaybebroken.jpg
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
Yikes! I wonder if it was plugged in to a surge protector of some sort, even if it's not a lightning arrestor it might help some.
Old 21st July 2010
Tcpdump Spy

Ebay's mailservers:
Code:
ebay.com.               3600    IN      MX      10 data.ebay.com.
ebay.com.               3600    IN      MX      10 gort.ebay.com.
ebay.com.               3600    IN      MX      10 lore.ebay.com.
Custom Title Maker

Quote:
Ebay's mailservers:
Code:
ebay.com.               3600    IN      MX      10 data.ebay.com.
ebay.com.               3600    IN      MX      10 gort.ebay.com.
ebay.com.               3600    IN      MX      10 lore.ebay.com.
Nice. Too bad Gort doesn't quite fit with the other two.
Arp Constable

True marcolino, lal.ebay.com or b4.ebay.com would have been a better fit.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 23rd July 2010
Tcpdump Spy

b4 ... That is a never a good fit. anywhere. At any time. For any reason. I wish I could just overwrite that part of my memory with something else ... Anything else ... even Britney Spear songs will do.

Lal, yeah, guess that would be ok...
Arp Constable

Well, there was about 4 androids with names: Data, Lore, Lal, and B4. Not counting TOS and occasional oddities. I've never met a lady server but lal.ebay.com sure sounds nicer than gort.ebay.com - and I'm partial to the original to the (original) film

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 24th July 2010
Banned

My ISP used to name their servers after star wars characters, eventually those aliases were dropped and the world rejoiced.
Old 20th September 2010
Tcpdump Spy

Tcpdump Spy

This is so funny.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ataw7OLSvsU

"It may take a few seconds, but it will happen!"

Also features Tux as a minor role (As the wrath of God? ).
Tcpdump Spy

The sort of code I have to deal with at work ATM (*NOT* written by me, from the previous guy).

How can it be physically possible to write this? (Yes, this is one "line" of code).

Code:
                $queryInsert = "INSERT INTO leverancier_artikel(leverancier_id,leverancier_artikelnr,fabrikant_artikelnr,merk,omschrijving,prijs,prijs_valuta,voorraad,artikel_groep,ean,status,timestamp) VALUES($leverancier_id,\"".$leverancier_artikelnr."\",\"".$fabrikant_artikelnr."\",\"".$merk."\",\"".$omschrijving."\",\"".$prijs."\",\"".$prijs_valuta."\",\"".$voorraad."\",\"".$artikel_groep."\",\"".$ean."\",\"".$status."\",$timestamp)";
Even worse, this code has been copies ~15 times too. Instead of creating one function and reusing that. Seriously, this code quality isn't measured in "wtf/minutes" but in "wtf/seconds"
VPN Cryptographer

Don't make me post ASP.NET code!!

Especially stuff like 30 to 40 lines of inline HTML use to create an email message. Which of course is repeated in 3 different function because one email message subject is approved, the other is rejected and the last is approved with modification.
Tcpdump Spy

I really, really don't understand how people can write complete crap like that

I mean, when I'm in a hurry or have a deadline or whatever I certainly write less-than-perfect code, and I am fully aware of this. Sometimes it's just a quality vs. quantity question.

... But in this case, I know there was plenty of time ... In fact, I know that doing this the "proper way" actually takes less time and is much easier to maintain (This code interacts with 3rd party supplies. So maintenance is expected!).
I mean ... Just look at the complete quote and backslash screwup! wtf is this shit? How would any human being EVER write ANYTHING like that ?! Is this some attempt at obfuscated code?

*sigh*

The really funny thing is, the previous guy always complained about how bad the code the guys before him wrote was. But in all honesty, there is little difference ...
VPN Cryptographer

The thing the irritates me the most is the woman that wrote this code came in as a big shoot, ms certified and all that. We had a two week code review before she left and I asked her specifically why she wrote this function 3 times and the only difference I could see was the subject. Her answer was "I don't know, that is how I got it to work." After that, I didn't ask anymore questions.

Now after dealing with this code for a month it is even worse that I thought. Such as functions that have an object as the parameter and the first thing the function does is "query" the database using the object to retrieve the object, for example:

Code:
private void CreateWorkItem(string request_status, Employee requestor, Employee approver, DS_Request req)
{
    DS_Request ds_request = _request.GetDSRequest(req.request_id);
}
As a note, I say "query" because she used what I call the "magic model" style where you create a model of your db with some tool that read the db information and it creates class that magically select, update and insert information into the db. Personally I really hate tools that do this. I think if you don't know SQL enough to write these kind of classes yourself you shouldn't be writing application that interact with databases.
Tcpdump Spy

Wow, that sounds so familiar. I'm more or less in the same situation; The previous guy was hired especially for this job, university degree and whatnot. Worked for half a year, and then left. I left my old (crap-ish) job at the same company took over his.

At least your predecessor used functions
I think the first two weeks I *only* did code refactoring. There was no generic API for communicating with our Administration software for example, everything was just inline MySQL queries and such.

Making "GetArticleByNum()" functions and such really isn't that hard.

There was *exactly* one function: Find(), which is just a wrapper around strpos() which returned True or False (... And it is even a stupid function, using === would accomplish the same).
This was our *entire* API ... Even the MySQL credentials were just in a file which was included() ... Note that there wasn't *one* file, but this file was copied about 10 times to various locations ...

To make things worse: We only have one guy doing programming for in-house tools and such, so proper documentation and proper code is *even more* important because if "that one guy" leaves, all knowledge leaves with him.

Quote:
As a note, I say "query" because she used what I call the "magic model" style where you create a model of your db with some tool that read the db information and it creates class that magically select, update and insert information into the db. Personally I really hate tools that do this. I think if you don't know SQL enough to write these kind of classes yourself you shouldn't be writing application that interact with databases.
I have mixed feelings about these tools; Our old website used it for example, and it was pretty easy to interact with. The downside is that there is a lot of abstraction and it's harder to figure out what exactly is going wrong.

.. I prefer to keep things KISS though whenever reasonably possible ... But I can see the value in these tools though ... Assuming they are used properly though
VPN Cryptographer

I guess those tools can be useful in a simple db scheme. My problem with them is once you get beyond simple. Such as dealing with highly normalized db were getting something like a persons name, address and phone could possible take querying 4 or more tables. Or things like queries across different db or even linked servers.

Anyway to get some what back "On Topic" here is an example of the only comments in her code,

Code:
/// <summary>
/// There are no comments for AudienceSet in the schema.
/// </summary>
public global::System.Data.Objects.ObjectQuery<Audience> AudienceSet
Other that comments like this, there are NO comments!!
Tcpdump Spy

haha, is it just me or do some people need to vent some frustration haha.

I'm about halfway through rewriting most of the existing stuff. After that it's all *PERFECT* code and a lot less frustration
VPN Cryptographer

I'm not bitter.....
Arp Constable

Quote:
The sort of code I have to deal with at work ATM (*NOT* written by me, from the previous guy).

How can it be physically possible to write this? (Yes, this is one "line" of code).

Code:
                $queryInsert = "INSERT INTO leverancier_artikel(leverancier_id,leverancier_artikelnr,fabrikant_artikelnr,merk,omschrijving,prijs,prijs_valuta,voorraad,artikel_groep,ean,status,timestamp) VALUES($leverancier_id,\"".$leverancier_artikelnr."\",\"".$fabrikant_artikelnr."\",\"".$merk."\",\"".$omschrijving."\",\"".$prijs."\",\"".$prijs_valuta."\",\"".$voorraad."\",\"".$artikel_groep."\",\"".$ean."\",\"".$status."\",$timestamp)";
Even worse, this code has been copies ~15 times too. Instead of creating one function and reusing that. Seriously, this code quality isn't measured in "wtf/minutes" but in "wtf/seconds"

Unless that is encoded in baby talk instead of a real spoken language, I don't see what's so funny about it. I've seen worse, up to and including gobs of inlined multi-language code just to fetch a non breaking space out of a database. That's when I took a break.

The intelligence I see out of most "Educated" people I've crossed codes with, makes me seriously doubt the virtue of a degree related to programming.... or that birth control is working.