DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Old 15th November 2019
More noise than signal

I'm not there and cannot see over your shoulder, but my opinion differs regarding the apparent root cause.

I would guess that the root cause is a damaged /bsd file, as that file is the source of the kernel symbol name list being created by kvm_mkdb. The program goes off the rails because the input is not valid. I assume that strtab + sbuf.st_name in nlist.c line 218 points outside the kernel address space, causing the segfault.
Old 20th October 2021
Arp Constable

This has always bothered me that I did not get to a conclusion but I think this was not actually a bug.

I noticed that some Linux (Fedora, RHEL, Centos, Rocky) systems use /boot/efi/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI which is exactly where OpenBSD puts its BOOTX64.EFI. If you install one of the conflicting linux systems followed by a GPT/EFI OpenBSD install, OpenBSD overwrites the Linux BOOTX64.EFI and the Grub Linux boot option will boot OpenBSD. For that reason, I would rename OpenBSD BOOTX64.EFI to BSD_BOOTX64.EFI. Re-linking in OpenBSD would subsequently fail.

Debian, and it's derivatives do not use the same location and if the OpenBSD BOOTX64.EFI file is not renamed, there are no kernel re-linking errors.

Two thoughts on fixing. Upstream i could make this a configurable option in the re-linking code or if the BSD's rename their *.EFI's to something like NBSD_BOOTX64.EFI, OBSD_BOOTX64.EFI and FBSD_BOOTX64.EFI.
Old 20th October 2021
Too dumb for a smartphone

While I've not used one of the "conflicting" Linuxes, or grub ... just a thought:

Maybe you could move their EFI boot stuff into a different directory, and tell the UEFI firmware where to find it with the Linux efibootmgr program?
Old 23rd October 2021
Arp Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdOp View Post
Maybe you could move their EFI boot stuff into a different directory, and tell the UEFI firmware where to find it with the Linux efibootmgr program?
That was my initial work around based on this:

https://ackstorm.de/posts/uefi-openb...dual-boot.html

I think this 2016 guide was before OpenBSD implemented kernel re-linking. My system still functioned but without the security of a re-linked kernel

I suspect it was because the OpenBSD re-linking code was looking for /boot/efi/BOOTX64.EFI. It the file was renamed/relocated, it would not be found.