DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Ports and Packages

FreeBSD Ports and Packages Installation and upgrading of ports and packages on FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th August 2009
Shell Scout

Default FreeBSD ACPI Power Management, 7.2-release

First I will say that as far as my laptop is concerned power management in 7.2 is dramatically better than it was in 6.x. My laptop now sleeps properly (with the zzz command) and comes around successfully (mostly).

However there are two small issues I am trying to solve.

First, my mouse daemon still dies when I come back out of suspend, I have to 'kill -HUP' to get it back. Is there a way to automate this? I would like to be able to invoke 'zzz' as a non-root user (without sudo preferably) and have it reinitialize the mouse daemon automatically. Currently I have to sudo for zzz and then of course sudo again to 'kill -HUP' on the mouse daemon.

Second, I can't find a way to get my laptop to automatically go to sleep when I close the lid. FreeBSD recognizes the lid switch, but I can't seem to associate it with 'zzz'. I use KDE as my desktop environment, and in power management I can associate actions with closing the lid but suspend is not a choice that it gives me.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th August 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantazz View Post
First, my mouse daemon still dies when I come back out of suspend, I have to 'kill -HUP' to get it back. Is there a way to automate this? I would like to be able to invoke 'zzz' as a non-root user (without sudo preferably) and have it reinitialize the mouse daemon automatically. Currently I have to sudo for zzz and then of course sudo again to 'kill -HUP' on the mouse daemon.
In /etc/rc.suspend and /etc/rc.resume mate, check man acpiconf for details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantazz View Post
Second, I can't find a way to get my laptop to automatically go to sleep when I close the lid. FreeBSD recognizes the lid switch, but I can't seem to associate it with 'zzz'. I use KDE as my desktop environment, and in power management I can associate actions with closing the lid but suspend is not a choice that it gives me.
You will have to create your custom script to monitor sysctl if your lid is closed, and make some actions when it will happen, but maybe someone will find better sollution.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th August 2009
Shell Scout

Thanks, I just hacked my rc.resume file to include '/etc/rc.d/moused restart' and now my mouse works when I wake up my system by opening the lid.

I just need to figure out how to make it do something useful when I close the lid and life will be great.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th August 2009
Administrator

Quote:
I just need to figure out how to make it do something useful when I close the lid and life will be great.
How you get that info?

By sysctl or dmesg?

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th August 2009
Shell Scout

Quote:
How you get that info?

By sysctl or dmesg?
Honestly I haven't figured that part out yet. I do know, however, that if I put my laptop to sleep and close the lid, and then subsequently open the lid, it wakes up correctly.

This happens after using 'zzz' from the command line to invoke the suspend state, with KDE running. If I simply close my lid with KDE running, nothing interesting happens.