DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th December 2009
Shell Scout

Default I'm back :-)

So some months ago I made an attempt to switch over to FreeBSD. I have gotten some great and generous help in my first attemps to install FreeBSD, which, knowing me, of course failed miserably (). And suddenly I was gone. That would have appeared impolite to my kind helpers, and/but it wasn't intended like that. It's just I went on a paid journey around the world (paid for by my boss, in return I had to work for him) and man, can I assure you: there are a *lot* of *ugly* airports around the world, not even to mention the crappy "coffee" they serve on them for sky high prices.

So I am home, at least for a couple of weeks, and I pick up where I left off. That is, with a fresh new install of FreeBSD 8, and, in order not to worry you: no, nothing works, just like the first time

Let's see if I can get this to work this time.

"The Noob"
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th December 2009
./dev/null

Greetings again

I too disappear for a week or a month (or 3) here and there and may seem uncouth, this may leave some persons thinking things. I have found that most of the persons (admins too) around here are quite polite, never have i actually seen much flaming or otherwise (even if it was deserved).

MMM around the world trip, helped to pay for? i do not drink coffee yay
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th December 2009
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by There0 View Post
Greetings again

I too disappear for a week or a month (or 3) here and there and may seem uncouth, this may leave some persons thinking things. I have found that most of the persons (admins too) around here are quite polite, never have i actually seen much flaming or otherwise (even if it was deserved).

MMM around the world trip, helped to pay for? i do not drink coffee yay
Thanks for the reply

Aarhg

Nothing is working. As expected of course, since I never get it to work ()

I have X with KDE4, I cvsup, then I try to install Nvidia driver it quits with a vague error, on looking into the makefile I see the version is lower than the one on Nvidia website, I down that one, it also quits with an error, same for KDE3, same for openoffice, and now when I log on I get:

Code:
	kernel	pid 2450 (kdeinit4), uid 0 inumber 16929 on /: filesystem full
	kernel	pid 2556 (firefox-bin), uid 0 inumber 16866 on /: filesystem full
I am trying to find out what it is that seems to be full. It says root is full, but root isn't full because it's 500 MB and according to ncdu root is occupying only 238 MB. Df -h however says it is full:

Code:
Filesystem      Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad10s1a    496M    480M    -24M   105%    /
devfs           1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
/dev/ad10s1e    496M    186K    456M     0%    /tmp
/dev/ad10s1f    442G    4.8G    402G     1%    /usr
/dev/ad10s1d    4.1G     85M    3.7G     2%    /var
No idea what I can delete however

I try to redo an cvsup and suddenly it can't connect because my hostname isn't correct.

#4   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th December 2009
Daemonology student

You may be missing a hostname="..." entry in /etc/rc.conf.

As for root, you must have a kernel backup or something. If your current kernel (/boot/kernel/) works fine, delete any other one. You may also want to remove all the symbol files if you don't ever want to debug it.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st December 2009
./dev/null

Remember that / also includes /home and /etc if you do not seperate them, I tried partitioning /etc and it errored like mad, I did not follow up on a solution i just kept it under /.

This is my partition scheme on my main firewall (no users login, or else i would have a seperate /home partition as well, VERY good idea security wise, so users/apps/files can't fill up your / partition and bomb your install or worse)

Code:
user@server[~]$ df -h
Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/wd0a     19.7G    344M   18.4G     2%    /
/dev/wd0f      1.2G   26.0K    1.1G     0%    /tmp
/dev/wd0d      4.9G    584M    4.1G    12%    /usr
/dev/wd0e      9.9G    952M    8.4G    10%    /var
Code:
/etc/fstab
user@server[~]$ more /etc/fstab
/dev/wd0a / ffs rw,softdep,noatime 1 1
/dev/wd0f /tmp ffs rw,nodev,nosuid,softdep,noatime,noexec 1 2
/dev/wd0d /usr ffs rw,nodev,softdep,noatime 1 2
/dev/wd0e /var ffs rw,nodev,nosuid,softdep,noatime,noexec 1 2
installed packages include (firewall with snort and some monitoring tools and nessus)
Code:
user@server[~]$ pkg_info
aide-0.13.1         Advanced Intrusion Detection Environment
bwm-ng-0.6          realtime bandwidth monitoring of interfaces
gettext-0.17p0      GNU gettext
hydra-5.4           parallelized login hacker
libdnet-1.10p3      portable low-level networking library
libiconv-1.13       character set conversion library
libnasl-2.2.9p0     Nessus Attack Scripting Language
lua-5.1.4p0         powerful, light-weight programming language
lzo-1.08p1          portable speedy lossless data compression library
nessus-core-2.2.9p4-no_x11 network security scanner
nessus-libraries-2.2.9p0 libraries for Nessus
nessus-plugins-2.2.9p0 plugins for Nessus
nikto-2.03          Web and CGI vulnerability scanner with SSL support
nmap-4.76           scan ports and fingerprint stack of network hosts
ntop-1.1            network usage, interface similar to top(1)
oinkmaster-2.0      update your Snort rules
openvpn-2.1rc15p2   easy-to-use, robust, and highly configurable VPN
openvpn_bsdauth-4p0 BSD Auth helper program for OpenVPN
p5-Net-SSLeay-1.35p0 perl module for using OpenSSL
pcre-7.9            perl-compatible regular expression library
pftop-0.7p3         curses-based real time state and rule display for pf
portsentry-1.2      port scan detection and active defense
screen-4.0.3p1      multi-screen window manager
snort-2.8.3.2       highly flexible sniffer/NIDS
trafshow-3.1        full screen visualization of network traffic
wget-1.11.4         retrieve files from the web via HTTP, HTTPS and FTP
I am curious of you have tried just ONE big partition and a swap file? it may help get booted up and haxxing out the "errors" or otherwise.

Last edited by J65nko; 21st December 2009 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Code tags added
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st December 2009
./dev/null

Your / parition is WAY too small (since it includes your /etc) for an install that is hoping for X windows (KDE is pretty big with all dependencies). If you can, test with one big partition as / and a swap.

My /var partition is quite large because i log ALL traffic in PF (dropped and accepted) and also 3 instances of Snort (per interface including my tun0 just cause) and it gets quite big, my pflog file is over 200mb's and this install was done less than 1 month ago

Last edited by There0; 21st December 2009 at 06:49 AM.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st December 2009
Daemonology student

Quote:
Remember that / also includes /home and /etc if you do not seperate them, I tried partitioning /etc and it errored like mad, I did not follow up on a solution i just kept it under /.
It's always good to create a /home directory, make a new partition (or slice) and mount it there.
You should never separate /etc because 1) it's not worth it at all, and 2) the system won't boot anymore since the loader needs to read fstab to mount partitions (including /etc), but fstab is on /etc.

Quote:
so users/apps/files can't fill up your / partition and bomb your install or worse)
There's something called quotas...

Quote:
I am curious of you have tried just ONE big partition and a swap file? it may help get booted up and haxxing out the "errors" or otherwise.
... and is a bad idea. When you have separate partitions you can enhance security and tune and optimize many things like disk usage and mount options. Repairs are also much easier when you know the source of your problems is located in, let's say, the root partition.

Quote:
Your / parition is WAY too small (since it includes your /etc) for an install that is hoping for X windows (KDE is pretty big with all dependencies)
Little space is required for the root partition. Mine is 256MB (248 effective) with 162 used, most of it by the boot directory.
/etc is rarely more than a few MBs.
Almost everything related to X and *DE goes in /usr/local which is a directory in the /usr partition (402GB on his system).
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st December 2009
./dev/null

@Beastie

Quote:
It's always good to create a /home directory, make a new partition (or slice) and mount it there.
You should never separate /etc because 1) it's not worth it at all, and 2) the system won't boot anymore since the loader needs to read fstab to mount partitions (including /etc), but fstab is on /etc.
I ALWAYS use a seperate /home partition, i mentioned that i DID NOT on my firewall because there is NO USERS logging in ... and like i said a seperate /etc partition errored like mad, i know why and was hinting that he should NOT create a seperate /etc "slice".

Quote:
There's something called quotas...
He does NOT even have a properly working install, why recommend something more to configure?????

Quote:
... and is a bad idea. When you have separate partitions you can enhance security and tune and optimize many things like disk usage and mount options. Repairs are also much easier when you know the source of your problems is located in, let's say, the root partition.
Was a suggestion to get a booting system he can analyze/test .... i will gladly post a regular currently running installs systems configs, so we can quote back and forth instead of helping with Broodjegehaktmetmayo's issues.....

Quote:
Little space is required for the root partition. Mine is 256MB (248 effective) with 162 used, most of it by the boot directory.
/etc is rarely more than a few MBs.
Almost everything related to X and *DE goes in /usr/local which is a directory in the /usr partition (402GB on his system).
Yes correction, i did mean /usr "slice" it was getting late (early), and most "userland?" if i can call them that applications go under /usr, mine is 588MB used and i DO NOT have any window managers on that system, hmmm.

Last edited by There0; 21st December 2009 at 03:49 PM.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st December 2009
./dev/null

Quote:
Nothing is working. As expected of course, since I never get it to work ()
I agree this is quite vaguely general enough that i shall consider his system NON (properly) functioning, i would like to know the definition of "nothing" as well, perhaps in a list?

Quote:
You may be missing a hostname="..." entry in /etc/rc.conf.
Sounds like FreeBSD advice to me, don't believe i have ever seen hostname= in rc.conf before? Better more standard place is the /etc/myname file, good to use, most recommend NOT to use the /etc/rc.conf but create a /etc/rc.conf.local file.

Last edited by There0; 21st December 2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old 21st December 2009
./dev/null

My /etc/rc.conf.local file

Code:
user@server[~]$ more  /etc/rc.conf.local

accounting=YES
apmd_flags="-A"
pf=YES
check_quotas=NO
inetd=NO
sendmail_flags=NO
ntpd_flags="-s"
Look MA! No quotas, and apmd becuase it's a laptop and sendmail NO because i manually check my logs, and accounting YES because it's accounting i guess i can remove pf=YES since it is enabled by default in 4.6 too ....

Last edited by J65nko; 21st December 2009 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Look MA! I can add 'code' and '\code' tags here!
Old 21st December 2009
Daemonology student

Quote:
I ALWAYS use a seperate /home partition, i mentioned that i DID NOT on my firewall because there is NO USERS logging in
And I didn't say I failed to read that the first time you mentioned it. But I thought you were actually giving an advice to Broodjegehaktmetmayo (who's installing FreeBSD as a *desktop* OS) instead of merely talking about your firewall.

Quote:
was hinting that he should NOT create a seperate /etc "slice"
Neither a slice nor a partition. Both would have the same effect and you'd be unable to boot.
What you said earlier -- "Remember that / also includes /home and /etc if you do not separate them" -- implies /etc *can* be separated from the root partition, something that AFAIK can never work without adverse effects, like not being able to boot normally, that is.

Quote:
Was a suggestion to get a booting system he can analyze/test
His system is already booting fine and his partitioning scheme is appropriate, but you're suggesting he does the entire setup all over again. And his problem is very clear: he has no more space on the root partition. All he has to do is check what's taking up so much space (old kernel and user files) and re/move it. I've already addressed both.
If he does what you're saying (having a huge root partition only) but does all the rest exactly as he was doing before, he will still end up with a 480MB (former) root partition but he won't notice anything's wrong and the system won't complain since it'd have 400+GB at its disposal. IOW, he'd be only hiding the symptoms instead of fixing the problem.

Quote:
i will gladly post a regular currently running installs systems configs, so we can quote back and forth instead of helping with Broodjegehaktmetmayo's issues
Suggestions have already been made. Now Broodjegehaktmetmayo has to try them and reply back, but he hasn't yet, has he?
Maybe "shut up and be gone" is what you're trying to tell me?

Quote:
Yes correction, i did mean /usr "slice"
A slice for /usr? What for? It's enough to just have it on a separate partition. It's recommended to have separate partitions for /, /tmp, /var, /usr and /home, but all this can still be on a single slice.

Quote:
Sounds like FreeBSD advice to me
Hmm, yes it's "FreeBSD advice" since he's installing FreeBSD, IIRC. Should I give Solaris or Windows advice? Maybe you think he's installing OpenBSD 4.6?

Quote:
don't believe i have ever seen hostname= in rc.conf before
Quote:
Originally Posted by man 5 rc.conf
hostname (str) The fully qualified domain name (FQDN) of this host on the network. This should almost certainly be set to something meaningful, even if there is no network connection. If dhclient(8) is used to set the hostname via DHCP, this variable should be set to an empty string.

Quote:
Better more standard place is the /etc/myname file, good to use, most recommend NOT to use the /etc/rc.conf
Uh, okay.
Quote:
The principal location for system configuration information is within /etc/rc.conf. This file contains a wide range of configuration information, principally used at system startup to configure the system.
[...]
An administrator should make entries in the rc.conf file to override the default settings from /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
[...]
All system-specific changes should be made in the rc.conf file itself.
[...]
The recommended approach is to place site-wide configuration into another file, such as /etc/rc.conf.site, and then include this file into /etc/rc.conf
Isn't the hostname a system-wide configuration? Besides, it's not like a desktop is usually used in "clustered applications" that requires "to separate site-wide configuration from system-specific configuration".
(Source: Handbook - 11.3 Core Configuration)

/etc/defaults/rc.conf:
Code:
##############################################################
###  Network configuration sub-section  ######################
##############################################################

### Basic network and firewall/security options: ###
hostname=""			# Set this!
Maybe you should file a PR to amend both the handbook and the default rc.conf file.
./dev/null

Quote:
Originally Posted by There0
was hinting that he should NOT create a seperate /etc "slice"
notice "slice" in in quotations, was trying to make a noticable funny for you, im quite well familiar with partions and slices and and and.

Quote:
Suggestions have already been made. Now Broodjegehaktmetmayo has to try them and reply back, but he hasn't yet, has he?
Maybe "shut up and be gone" is what you're trying to tell me?
Quite the insinuation buddy, i have no problem telling you to get lost or otherwise, if that was my intention, i would require a reason, and i would PM you with that reason.

Quote:
Hmm, yes it's "FreeBSD advice" since he's installing FreeBSD, IIRC. Should I give Solaris or Windows advice? Maybe you think he's installing OpenBSD 4.6?
Yes my correction, it was late (early) when i was reviewing this, i was jumping back and forth between posts and mistook this for an OpenBSD post. It sounds to me like you really need somebody to chat with? perhaps some Windoz advice? I was trying to avoid quoting each other with silly stuff, corrections aside of course, but here i am quoting your quotes, my bad.

Quote:
His system is already booting fine and his partitioning scheme is appropriate, but you're suggesting he does the entire setup all over again. And his problem is very clear: he has no more space on the root partition. All he has to do is check what's taking up so much space (old kernel and user files) and re/move it. I've already addressed both.
Really? what does "Nothing is working. As expected of course, since I never get it to work" mean to you? does that mean that his system IS FUNCTIONING PROPERLY???? not to me that is why i suggested what i did.

Quote:
All he has to do is check what's taking up so much space (old kernel and user files) and re/move it
Quote:
So I am home, at least for a couple of weeks, and I pick up where I left off. That is, with a fresh new install of FreeBSD 8, and, in order not to worry you: no, nothing works, just like the first time
Fresh install he says, im guessing cvsup'ing (should i put that word in quotations?) is taking up much space? perhaps on /?

The rest of your quotes rely on the fact that i mistook this for an OpenBSD question, so i can confidently rest assured that your remarks help you feel better about what you need to say. I have read many FreeBSD books/documents and have been using since 4.0.

Quote:
Maybe you should file a PR to amend both the handbook and the default rc.conf file.
Would you please help me with that? it seems that you know so much about FreeBSD, and can insinuate about other posters with great skill, i could really use your help to straighten up FreeBSD ....... goofy smirky smily not included.

I REALLY wanted to avoid all this quoting (except for corrections of course), but it seems your set on showing down (showing off?) other posters (or just me?), just what im vibing over here, of course i could be wrong. Since i have not helped or contributed to Broodjegehaktmetmayo's post this shall me my last.

Last edited by There0; 23rd December 2009 at 12:54 AM.