DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Fdisk Soldier

Default /usr/local/share/mime/application--How to delete files?

Scrolling through /usr/local/share/mime/application, I see files that appear to be left over from packages that I installed and later removed. I thought $ doas pkg_delete -ac [package] was supposed to remove all files related to the package, except the configuration files deposited in the user's home folder.

Is there a command to safely clean up this folder?

I don't use a desktop environment or file manager, only jwm for window management.

Thanks.

Last edited by gustaf; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:07 AM. Reason: Better title
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
More noise than signal

These files are not part of package packing lists, which is why they are not deleted by pkg_delete. (I know this by using the -E flag of pkg_info(1) on them.)

I don't know their provenance. They appear to all have the same date/time, so may have been created by pkg_add(1). Perhaps pkg_check(8) will inspect the directory and remove extraneous files.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Arp Constable

Quote:
I don't know their provenance.
Say you are constructing a presentation in Libreoffice and wish to insert a png graphic. After selecting the graphic, Libreoffice allows you to open the graphic in an external editor. Both inkscape and gimp pop-up as choices to edit the png. This is handled by mimetypes. It is kinda like a mailcap in mutt.

Quote:
They appear to all have the same date/time, so may have been created by pkg_add(1)
I think this is done by an update-mime-database command in the PLIST. The consistent time/date stamps likely represent the last time the update-mime-database command was run.

Quote:
Is there a command to safely clean up this folder?
I do not know this for a fact but the update-mime-database(1) would be worth testing.

Note to forum admins: OpenBSD's manpage does not link - I substituted FreeBSD's.

Last edited by shep; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:00 PM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
More noise than signal

Ah! Thank you! I haven't paid enough attention to freedesktop.org applications.