Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > News

News News regarding BSD and related.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th March 2013
Administrator

Default Canonical announces Mir display server to replace X Window

From http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/03..._announcement/

Quote:
Canonical has announced plans to develop new, open source Linux display-server software called Mir, in a move that it says will help further its goal of offering a unified Ubuntu user experience across PCs, smartphones, tablets, and smart TVs.

[snip]

Recently, a number of Linux distributions have lent their support to Wayland, a free-software replacement for X that aims to make it easier to render modern, hardware-accelerated GUI desktops.

Until recently, Canonical could be counted among that list. But on Monday it unveiled its plans to develop Mir as a new, completely separate display server, one that is neither X nor Wayland.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th March 2013
ISO Quartermaster

And now they will fork X, wayland and Mir just like linuxes.... Instead of fixing core problem, they will new ones.

Great, just what we need.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th April 2017
ISO Quartermaster

Breaking:
Canonical killing Unity for Ubuntu Linux, will switch to the superior GNOME
I am a little disappointed that after all that investment in Unity7 for X11, Unity8 based on Mir they are changing course.

Other links:
https://insights.ubuntu.com/2017/04/...d-convergence/
Backup:
https://web.archive.org/web/20170405...d-convergence/
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th April 2017
Spam Deminer

I do not see what there is to be disappointed about. I do not know what improvements have been made to it, but when Unity first came out it was a bug-riddled piece of crap. Just as bad was the layout. To me it seemed that Unity was nothing more than an attempt to make a computer screen look like a very large telephone. It was designed for aesthetics (although it was ugly) not for productivity.

As for "superior Gnome," Gnome three looks like a Unity wanna-be. Although my impression is based solely on screen-grabs, since I have never used it.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th April 2017
Spam Deminer

It's a familiar pattern. Upstart was killed to fit upstream Debian's systemd base, next Unity is axed in order to use Debian's upstream desktop and cut in house development costs.

Clearly Ubuntu is not where canonical want to put their investment. It's hardly surprising as Ubuntu's popularity has been declining for years. Shuttleworth may have finally realised what many of us knew years ago: Ubuntu was never going to challenge Windows or Mac on desktop/laptop PCs and it was never going to be a revenue stream (any attempts to make it so were badly implemented and failed). In the meantime Android came along and all their efforts seemed futile, the rest is history.

One of the main failings of Unity is that it is open source in the technical sense only. It was created by canonical for it's products and attempts by others to build on other distributions (such as Fedora) ultimately failed.

And this is where canonical sadly missed the point. gnome at least produce a desktop which can be built on other distributions and even ported to other *nix. canonical chose to cast all of this aside and go "completely in house" and lose the contributions of thousands of other developers - all working for free and to start hacking libraries, etc.

This is where Canonical's model failed and where Red Hat's has undeniably succeeded.

The writing is on the wall for Mir - the single biggest point of failure of which is the GPL3 licensing + Canonical's own CLA (Contributor License Agreement). This will ensure it remains an in house project. I can't see the sense in external "contributors" submitting code under those terms, particularly when there is an MIT licensed alternative.