DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th August 2015
Port Guard

Default ntopng-alike for OpenBSD

Hey all,

So now I've got my OpenBSD router in place, I'd like just for fun, to monitor network traffic of each internal IP, see where they're all going and get some pretty graphs. My ISP doesn't give me diddly squat because I'm on an unlimited package for my FTTP, so they say you don't need to know how much you're using.

ntopng isn't in the ports and I've made a half attempt at making it work but looking at the stuff it needs it seems like a real pain.

I was thinking of taking tcpdump's, reading the pcap's with some perl which has some support for pcap's, generating some HTML and graphs. I suspect this is a rather large undertaking for someone whose never used perl before and my C is almost as rusty as the Titanic

Has anyone embarked on such an experiment before or know a port(s) in OpenBSD which would help me accomplish this?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th August 2015
More noise than signal

I use net/nfsen, which is a graphical front end to net/nfdump which uses pflow(4) netflow data. I consolidate multiple routers, which it overlays in different colors on the graphs it produces. I produce Email alerts based on flows (network session traffic), and I use the graphic tool to drill down and issue nfdump analysis commands for me. If I need to, I can issue nfdump commands myself for detailed reporting for something Nfsen can't produce. In the last couple of years, I think I've needed that only once.

Pretty pictures can be seen below the table of contents at http://nfsen.sourceforge.net if you'd like to take a look.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th August 2015
Port Guard

Sorry, I forgot to mention in my first post that I had considered nfsen, but wasn't sure if it was what I wanted. I think my problem is that I'm wanting something that's simple, but still powerful enough to give me a good overview of what's happening.

I may reconsider nfsen or flowscan as a stop gap until I find something that's more to my liking or put my brain to work and make something myself.