DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th August 2008
Port Guard

Default 4GB RAM with x3100

Got a quick question. I decided to completely redo my laptop hard drive. On there I plan on having my Linux distro, OpenSolaris and FreeBSD. I've been having problems though with the Linux and OpenSolaris. I recently stuck 4GB of RAM in my laptop (upgrade from 2GB). Linux didn't like it. I lost 3D acceleration and even with Compiz off, it was giving me issues. It saw all 4GB (with PAE enabled in the kernel), but the graphics were done. Not that big of a deal, except that it was being a pain in the neck even with Compiz turned all the way off (I don't do any 3d stuff on my laptop). I'm hoping a re-install will set things straight. What I was told, however, in a Linux forum was that, most likely, the graphics driver was getting messed up from the extra RAM and I was advised to go back to my 2GB.

Brings me to my next thing. Trying to install OpenSolaris and it restarted halfway through the install. After the second time, I went researching and found something on OpenSolaris's bugzilla about having problems with intel graphics with more than 3GB of RAM. I replaced my 4GB with 2GB and am going to try the install. Then, I'll put the 4GB back and hope for the best (the LiveCD works fine, just the install is getting messed up).

That brings me to FreeBSD. Am I going to get messed up because of the 4GB? I have a Thinkpad T61 with the Intel x3100 GMA (965 chipset). I really hope I can get all this to work. I'm going to be really disappointed if I have to try to return the 4GB (thought about using 3GB, but I don't think it'd be worth giving up dual channel). Thanks to anyone who can answer my question.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th August 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperChief View Post
That brings me to FreeBSD. Am I going to get messed up because of the 4GB? I have a Thinkpad T61 with the Intel x3100 GMA (965 chipset). I really hope I can get all this to work. I'm going to be really disappointed if I have to try to return the 4GB (thought about using 3GB, but I don't think it'd be worth giving up dual channel). Thanks to anyone who can answer my question.
Without PAE, you will get about 3-3.5 GB of RAM, but it shouldbe stable, dunno about x3100 issue, I have intel x3000 (965G) and FreeBSD does not supports it unortunelly, so I did not even had a chance to try intel driver here. I submited this bug several times but seems that GUI is not important for devs.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th August 2008
Port Guard

Your post makes me sad. I was really hoping to put FreeBSD on here.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th August 2008
Knuth's homeboy

> thought about using 3GB, but I don't think it'd be worth giving up dual channel

generally, DC won't increase performance much. (infact, x3100's graphics performance benefits more from DC.)
any discreet graphics card would have been a good investment if you really care about performance.

Last edited by ephemera; 4th August 2008 at 04:08 PM.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th August 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Your post makes me sad. I was really hoping to put FreeBSD on here.
Think how pissed I was when I bought most open source graphics card on the market (Intel released a complete 2D, 3D and video accelration documentation for 965G/G35) after I found out that FreeBSD devs dont give a fuck about that, and that even nVidia binary blob works 100 times better.

So I started to dig in OpenSolaris land ...

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th August 2008
Port Guard

Actually, I just read on Wikipedia that the GM965 works with FreeBSD 7.0. We'll see what happens when I try it out. When did you try? I like OpenSolaris but the lack of audio is kind of a showstopper. Oh well. I'm holding out hope for FreeBSD. I really want to run it.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th August 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Actually, I just read on Wikipedia that the GM965 works with FreeBSD 7.0.
Me also, long ago.

Quote:
When did you try?
Half year ago, with 7.0-RELEASE, 3 months ago with 7-STABLE snapshot, about 2 weeks ago with 8-CURRENT snapshot.

Quote:
I like OpenSolaris but the lack of audio is kind of a showstopper. Oh well. I'm holding out hope for FreeBSD. I really want to run it.
Lack of what?

Mate, OpenSolaris uses open source OSS4, (FreeBSD also uses OSS, but its own implementation) and sound on OpenSolaris is even better then on Linux (all these useless layers).

glxgears of X3000 a Ubuntu 8.10: 1430-1500 FPS
glxgears of X3000 a OpenSolaris 2008.05: 1530-1580 FPS

#8   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th August 2008
Port Guard

You're killing me today. I'm not done with OpenSolaris. I'm going to keep messing with it and get the sound working. I don't give up that easy (or I'd still be using DOS).
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th August 2008
Administrator

@ViperChief

What sound card did not worked for You and when that was (which OpenSolaris version).

Old 4th August 2008
Port Guard

Installed OpenSolaris a few hours ago. It's an Intel 82081H HD Audio Controller.
Old 4th August 2008
Administrator

Well, does it work?