DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th July 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Default What include and shared library directories are searched by gcc

Hello I have a question concerning gcc with f2c files and where gcc looks for include and shared library directories. Perhaps this should be in the programming section but since the problem only occurs in freebsd and I did not intend to do programming, I hope that I can ask it here.
The problem is that I want to compile foo.c which is the output from f2c program. The makefile make.sh is as follows
Code:
 gcc -03 -o oscillator oscillator.c -lf2c -lm
but gcc complains that it cannot find the f2c.h so I look up where f2c.h is
Code:
 /usr/local/inclucde
and change the make file to
Code:
 gcc -03 -o oscillator oscillator.c -I/usr/local/include -lf2c -lm
then in complains that it cannot find lf2c so I check with
Code:
 ldconfig -r | grep lf2c
and I get
Code:
 531:-lf2c.2 => /usr/local/lib/libf2c.so.2
and I change the makefile to
Code:
gcc -03 -o oscillator oscillator.c -I/usr/local/include -L/usr/local/lib -lf2c -lm
and now it compiles.
So my question are
1)why gcc does not look in the /usr/local for include files and why if ldconfig had lf2c linked why did gcc not find the file.
2) how can I change so that gcc looks for include and library files in /usr/local
3) Is the gcc in /usr/bin the same as /usr/local/gccXX, what I can see it is not a link
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th July 2008
Arp Constable

Cool

Code:
Terry@dixie$ gcc -v -E -                                                  15:26
Using built-in specs.
Target: i386-undermydesk-freebsd
Configured with: FreeBSD/i386 system compiler
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.2.1 20070719  [FreeBSD]
 /usr/libexec/cc1 -E -quiet -v -D_LONGLONG - -std=c99 -Wall -W -Wpointer-arith -Wbad-function-cast
ignoring duplicate directory "/usr/include"
#include "..." search starts here:
#include <...> search starts here:
 /usr/include
End of search list.
^C
Terry@dixie$                                                              15:27

Why *should* the system compiler search anything but the system headers and libraries by default ?

Like most decent compilers and some indecent ones gcc can be told to append items to it's search paths.

Code:
gcc -I/usr/local/include -L/usr/local/lib -lX11 xlib_test.c -o test
If I want to use a third party library without explicitly telling the compiler where to find your files set the LIBRARY_PATH and (LANG)_INCLUDE_PATH environment variables as stated in the gcc manual.

where (LANG) is C, CPLUS, OBJC, and so on.

NOTE:

ensuring the correctness and secure implementation of third party libraries is not a core concern of the FreeBSD project when compared to system libraries.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th July 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Thank you for your reply.
So I guess that /usr/local/include /usr/local/lib should not be searched by the preprocessor and linker.
I think I was confused since it was mentioned as the default in the configuration of gcc via --with-local-prefix=dirname and some post mentioned that it could be changed post installation in make.conf.
It probably worked smoother in ubunto since the package manager put the f2c things in /usr/lib and /usr/include.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th July 2008
Arp Constable

I wouldn't be familiar with gcc's installation/initial configuration phases. I have little use for any operating system that does not include a C Compiler by default :-)

Various Linux Distros tend to place things where ever they like. But on FreeBSD, everything that doesn't come with the system gets stuffed into /usr/local/ instead of /usr/, with few exceptions (e..g grub if installed)

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.