DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th July 2008
New User

Angry Sylpheed sickness

Hello!

Maybe s.o. can help me although it is most likely not an OpenBSD problem.

I use OpenBSD 4.3 as my desktop on a Lenovo T61. WM is fluxbox. For mails I use Sylpheed from the packages (version 2.1.7). With OpenBSD 4.2 I had Sylpheed-Claws (now Claws-Mail) but the following problem made me switch to Sylpheed hoping to live peacefully...

Until yesterday everthing was fine: "Get" fetched all new mail from the provider. Without any recognizable reason today Sylpheed fetches ALL MAILS AGAIN (>9000)!!! This ***** behaviour happend exactly with Claws before! And I have no clues why! Arrrgh

Neither manual, FAQ or Google gave any hint on whats going on here. I feel confident that the problem is not OpenBSD but rather Sylpheed or GTK. Does anybody have an idea what I can do???

Thank you!

SteWo
(helpless, clueless, desperate)
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th July 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteWo View Post
Until yesterday everthing was fine: "Get" fetched all new mail from the provider. Without any recognizable reason today Sylpheed fetches ALL MAILS AGAIN (>9000)!!! This ***** behaviour happend exactly with Claws before! And I have no clues why! Arrrgh
You reminds me of one of the most fav subject in uni.

This is what POP3 differs from IMAP. Sounds like the mail account was deleted and recreated yesterday
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th July 2008
New User

Any idea where the flag "New account" is placed? Want should I check? Is this a problem with the provider or on Sylpheed's side?

SteWo
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th July 2008
New User

Default Found a workaround

Howdy!

Well - I still don't know WHY? sylpheed (and claws-mail as well) shows this strange behaviour. On the German counterpart to this forum (bsdforen.de) I found one fellow claws user who made the same experience.

After this last incident I had switched back to claws-mail, whch as a result fetched all those >9,000 mails (roughly 1.6G). So here I was with two comparable programs and no idea why both behaved strange every now in a while.

After some sleep and thinking I realized that both (sylpheed and claws-mail) use a folder ~/.sylpheed/uidl/<account-name> or ~/.claws-mail/uidl/<account-name> respecively, to store a list with the mail-ids and a system-id. This brought me to an idea: I took the claws-mail-ids and combined them with the sylpheed-system-id. Et voilá: Sylpheed now "knew" again of the already fetched mails and fetched only those missing!

My workaround will be to set up a little script to save the content of ../uidl/ on a regular schedule. If claws "forgets" his memory the next time I will be able to go back to a date in the near past.

I still hope that s.o. comes up with an explanation of what really went wrong but until then I will have to cope with this issue as described.

Cheers,
SteWo
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th July 2008
Spam Deminer

AFAIK, it is feature, not a bug. No, Im not kidding at all. This is how POP3 protocol works and you cant do anything but accept it.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th July 2008
New User

Question ???

Can you pls. give some background on this 'feature'? I find it hard to believe that the developers of sylpheed / claws are forced to implement a routine to drop it's entire database-index at random times. If this is to be a 'feature' - why aren't the mails deleted as well? I never noticed in the documentation a limit of ... say 10,000 mails or xGB volume which would be a strange reason but at least an explanation.

Beside that I never noticed similar complaints by users of other mail-clients, e.g. mutt, thunderbird, evolution to name just a few.

Hope you can enlight my day.

SteWo

Tags
claws-mail, openbsd4.3, sylpheed