DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

View Poll Results: What do you think, are we facing Cold War 2???
Yes 8 57.14%
I don't know 2 14.29%
I don't care, it won't affect me 0 0%
No 4 28.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th September 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Question Cold War 2 ???

Recent events between Russia and U.S.A. Makes me feel like if we were in Cold War again...
Bough are starting to search for allies, in this....
For example....
USA senate few days ago, voted, that Russia should admit the illigal occupation of Baltic states after World War 2..... (where were they 60 years ago??? )
Russia is going to help Columbia with it's Space program (what the hell, i thought Cuba was poor country, but IDK)
USA wants to build air defense systems (against who???) in Europe (i think it was Poland.....)
Russia going to sell weapons to Venezuela
Russia invades (yes, i mean it) Georgia

So as you see, most of recent events are showing that bought countries seam too be preparing for something (my thoughts)

So, what do you think, are we facing Cold War 2???
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th September 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Definitely.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th September 2008
VPN Cryptographer

I really hope this forum is not going to allow threads of such political nature (including religious ones). It only stirs up animosity among members and does no good. There are countless other places to bring up such topics.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th September 2008
ISO Quartermaster

he, sorry, this is Off-Topic..... that's why i posted here....
All i want, is to know what others think....
I'm not racist/nacist or anything like that.... (just for note)
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th September 2008
Arp Constable

I concur with drhowarddrfines post.

As to a second cold war, the only thing that worries me is that the U.S Government has so debt at the moment; if I was a banker, I'd tell my own government to go to hell, before offering them credit lol.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th September 2008
ISO Quartermaster

I for one was curious what forum members whose countries were formerly held by the USSR have to say about Georgia and other recent events. There are quite a number of such people here.

Contrary to the assertion, there are not really that many sites where there can be a reasonable discussion of these sorts of issues, particularly where there are a lot of members from the respective regions, and where the discussion is not full of trolls. One is Wretchard's site, but on too many there is simple bloviation and invective and little else.

Certainly the forum should stay BSD-focused, and that is why people are here. I see no harm in an occasional discussion of other topics. If you don't want to read it, then don't. The moderators can keep an eye out for invective, but honestly I don't expect that much since it will likely be visited only by the regulars.

This post is long enough, so I won't offer anything about the original inquiry for the moment.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th September 2008
Tcpdump Spy

As long as discussions stay respectful I don't really see a problem ...
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th September 2008
VPN Cryptographer

My concern is from two other forums. Very technical with very smart people but no one dares go into the OT board where political and religious wars rage on and bad feelings carry over into other areas, and even other forums.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th September 2008
Banned

It happens rarely, but I agree with doc, political and religious conversations should remain off the forum..

Many a forums go bad after one person decides to end the peace.
Old 21st September 2008
ISO Quartermaster

My original post wasn't meant to blame any country....
It's about how relations between 2 giants are getting colder

Anyway, if admin thinks it's right thing to do, he should delete this thread
Old 22nd September 2008
ISO Quartermaster

I do think that conflicts between the US and Russia will be increasing. Russia was humiliated after the breakup of the USSR, and now is regaining its strength because of natural gas and oil. It has shown that it will not hesitate to use that as a foreign policy tool. Germany, Italy and California are very dependent on Russian gas, so the threat is real.

Russia also has $500 billion in the bank, and it will use it to further its interests. Those interests do not align that well with the interests of the EU or the US. So of course it is backing Iran and Venezuela -- the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Mitigating some of this is China, who has many ethnic Chinese in eastern Russia.

We'll have to see if things reach the state of another cold war. The world is a bit different now that China and India are much more powerful. In my opinion, the place to watch is the Ukraine.
Old 22nd September 2008
VPN Cryptographer

I think we're seeing a little bit of Russia's true colors now that they've pulled themselves up a bit out of the internal quagmire they were/are in.
Old 22nd September 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Agreed. Putin has said that the collapse of the USSR was a calamity. It seems that he wishes to put it back together, using gas and oil as blackmail to limit reprisals.
Old 22nd September 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
It seems that he wishes to put it back together
He may wish as strong as he can. My country (Republic of Armenia) declared it's independence 17 years and one day ago. Yes we are strategical allies with Russia. But there is no way for us to go "back to the USSR". I for one shall vote against that any day.
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencross View Post
He may wish as strong as he can. My country (Republic of Armenia) declared it's independence 17 years and one day ago. Yes we are strategical allies with Russia. But there is no way for us to go "back to the USSR". I for one shall vote against that any day.
If you will get any chance to vote at all....

As one of historians once said about our country:
We are never occupied, we are always liberated
(there is byplay, in this text)

[i don't want to touch history... otherwise we will have mess here....]
Old 22nd September 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by killasmurf86 View Post
Agreed. It is hard to argue with tanks, or have them accept your vote. (And by "tanks" I do include the whole array of modern warfare, from jamming to disrupting the internet to airplanes to air defenses to irregulars who pillage and plunder.)
Old 22nd September 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Today's situation is quite far from "having no chance to vote". It's not the aftermath of the WW I.
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencross View Post
Today's situation is quite far from "having no chance to vote". It's not the aftermath of the WW I.
I don't agree
Old 23rd September 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Russia has been pretty interesting lately. Especially their treatment of Georgia.

I think the Russian government is asserting itself back onto the world stage in a manner not unlike how the US government has been trying to assert itself internationally. Neither wants to really start the Cold War up again, but neither wants to admit that China and India are the new powerhouse nations.

The US has a lot more to lose in this way IMO. Russia is covered with natural resources (however inconveniently they may be situated), but the US has outsourced the greater majority of all of its manufacturing...

But really, the Ukraine and Russian relations are probably the most interestign thing to keep an eye on re: Cold War 2. The Ukraine is often considered a massive Democratic success. If the Russians attempt to take them back in any way less that entirely mutual, then it'll be kind of scary...

But I doubt they would. The Russian Federation is struggling with too many sub-cultures trying to become independent (Chechnya being a primary one) to try to build a new empire. They risk invalidating their current state as a collection of states forced together.

A bit longer than I intended... but I will say that in my opinion, some of the things the US is doing on the borders of the Former Soviet Union is plain wrong from the standpoint that they're antagonizing a country that they should be embracing.
Old 24th September 2008
Tcpdump Spy

I think we should put the whole bloody lot of them (Putin, Bush, Medvedev, Saakashvili, etc.) in a big locked room and just let them kill each other.
Good riddance and no bother to the rest of us.

Hey, what can I say? I'm a simple guy, I have simple answers.