DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Other Operating Systems > Other OS

Other OS Any other OS such as Microsoft Windows, BeOS, Plan9, Syllable, and whatnot.

View Poll Results: Which windoze would you use (if you REALLY need to).
2K 11 17.46%
XP 39 61.90%
Vista 4 6.35%
7 9 14.29%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th November 2008
Shell Scout

Default For those who REALLY need windoze, 2k, XP or Vista?

As the title says, if you really need to use windoze for some reason (ya know, apps that just won't run in wine), which one would you take, 2k, XP or Vista.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th November 2008
Tcpdump Spy

XP.

I would choose 2000, IMO it's the best Windows version to date .... But it's EOL, and the number of unptached problems keeps growing.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th November 2008
Coffee Addict

Whenever I used Windows, I loved Win2k. Unfortunately it is no longer supported and I would not trust it now (even less than I would trust any version of Windows now). I can't vouch for Vista since I've never used it. However, if all of the rumors I've heard are true, I'd stay away from it. So I can only recommend XP out of that list. XP isn't horrible but much more bloated than 2k. I can only imagine Vista being even more bloated. Coming from me, a devout KDE user, I think that says alot.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th November 2008
Arp Constable

Well, in the pre-vista world I would probably choose Win2K because everyone I know who has used it a lot, has the best regards for it among it's other Micro$haft peers; with the total end of lifing getting closer though, I would however be very cautious of /how/ I used it. In the post-visa world now that 98SE/2K are essentially history, I think I would choose vista *if* the price and pains invovled was equal to that of XP - fat chance of that.

Because I only require windows for gaming, I would of course choose Windows XP, at the moment I find it the most stable and reliable choice all around.... until XP becomes like the Windows 98 in those old "Supported Operating Systems: Windows 98/ME/2000/XP" labels, the old banana rather then the best supported flavor.

For the games we play, I'm actually surprised some of my teammates can use Vista + Quad Core CPU + G80 comparable graphics cards and still get the games to function usably.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th November 2008
ISO Quartermaster

I would choose Win2K, because it's the latest win i was able to get soft-ice running....
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th November 2008
Administrator

For all 2K choices, there is also Windows 2003 which aims to be replacement for 2000 and is supported.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th November 2008
Spam Deminer

I use Windows 2003 and start use Windows server 2008 , but I like 2000 it was much stable than other windows

Last edited by mfaridi; 10th November 2008 at 03:55 PM.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th November 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfaridi View Post
Windows 2006
What?

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th November 2008
Banned

The latest version of Windows I used was Windows 95.

And it was forcibly.. I would never consciously want to use a computer running Microsoft Windows.
Old 10th November 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden View Post
What?
So sorry my mean was windows 2003
Old 10th November 2008
BSD gamer

The most recent Windows machine I have runs '95, but FreeDOS and DOSbox have supplanted it by so much that it's pretty much useless now, so, uhh... DOS version of ZSNES, anyone?
Custom Title Maker

When I must use Windows on a desktop PC, I favor Windows 2000 Professional. It is by far my favorite OS from Redmond for several reasons:
  1. Low hardware requirements compared to newer offerings
  2. Wide support from third-party application and hardware vendors
  3. Crashes less often, IME
  4. And, finally, probably the most relevant, it is the version with which I am most familiar
Fdisk Soldier

I chose Windows XP becuase IMHO it is by far the stable and secure (when correctly patched) operating system next to BSD,Solaris/OpenSolaris and Linux. At present i i am writing thias post from my recently converted Hp Pavilion a6230n (former Windows vista/XP victim) wich I am happy to repor handles OpenSolaris SVN_101a quite better than it handled Windows vista (Vista/XP. IMHO the United States and other international governments should have intervinwed and devided up Microsoft aka (Shitrosoft).
Windows = a 32 bit extensions to a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a four bit processor written by 2-bit monopolistic software company founded by a .3-bit Harvard Drop out, who can't stand one respectable bit of competition.
If I believe something to be immoral a will not keep quite and let my voice of annoyance be heard loud and clear.
Old 10th November 2008
Spam Deminer

Afaik, W2K was a milestone.
Now, 2003? 2007? ...
Windows 7 I guess, but not on the desktop box as we know it.

http://kara.allthingsd.com/category/cloud-computing/
Use your fave search engine for "ballmer cloud computing"
Quote:
With all the information Microsoft is releasing at its launchtastic Professional Developers Conference in Los Angeles this week, CEO Steve Ballmer sent out a honking long missive to customers who have opted into the software giant’s “Executive Email” program (who knew?).

Along with the Azure–finally, a lovely and apt brand name from Microsoft–cloud services offering, it also outlines the inevitable and unavoidable path for the company, which has long struggled in getting its digital strategy right.

That includes cloudy browser versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other of its powerhouse software products.
Fwiw, SliTaz http://www.slitaz.org/en/ (30MB livecd)
Not cloud exactly, but gives the feeling
Quote:
Cooking 20080716 - Web boot and MPlayer
SliTaz project members are proud to announce the availability of a new Cooking version, including many new features and bug fixes. This version provides the boot option web which lets you boot SliTaz from the internet using gPXE from boot.slitaz.org.
Back to centralized applications servers (be they cloudy).

OTOH, some apps which only work on Windows now are migrating to Vista at least. These will become cloudy sooner or later.

Nice: by soon you will not be able to register and login anymore, all you would need is a valid Visa card number.
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvlamb View Post
Afaik, W2K was a milestone.
Now, 2003? 2007? ...
Windows 7 I guess, but not on the desktop box as we know it.
Windows 7 ... should be named 6.1 (an propably will be inernally) cause its only something like Vista + SP2 (Vista was 6.0).

Old 10th November 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden View Post
Windows 7 ... should be named 6.1 (an propably will be inernally) cause its only something like Vista + SP2 (Vista was 6.0).
Windows 7 comes after 2008.

If you search you will find comment of Ballmer expecting less sales for Vista as corporate is waiting for Windows 7.

Anyway, my personal take: Billion-Bill stepped out from the executive chair as he felt sales of OS and desktop apps are at an end.
Am not even sure that Google with the Google apps has the business model to become a leader in cloud computing: other companies have been created by design from the ground up, no need to adapt or change.
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvlamb View Post
Windows 7 comes after 2008.
I know mate, very late 2009 propably.

Check this one for example:
http://blogs.computerworld.com/is_windows_7_really_vista_sp2_in_disguise

Old 10th November 2008
Arp Constable

The GUI in Windows 7 will probably be the most "new" thing about it - unless you've used a lot of window managers. I wouldn't be surprised if they just split development of "the big kahuna" in two: Vista and 7, to be remearged years later for triple the price in Windows NT 8.0 once everyone forgets the version numbers :-)

I've yet to see anything innovative out of Microsoft, aside from how to prove theories on promotions.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 10th November 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
I've yet to see anything innovative out of Microsoft, aside from how to prove theories on promotions.
The only valuable thing from them I recall is Singularity:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singula...erating_system)

More in depth overview here (with FreeBSD and Linux comparasions):
ftp://ftp.research.microsoft.com/pub/tr/tr-2005-135.pdf

MICROS~1 even released its soure code, but at a fucked up license of course:
http://www.codeplex.com/singularity

Old 10th November 2008
Spam Deminer

Will Windows 7 be Vista SP2 in disguize or Windows Azure rebranded?
And when?
Even under Bill, the releases always were later than expected to achieve less than expected.

We now are entering a renting model, or a utilities model (monthly charge such as power or natural gas). Far from the Microsoft one license per screen.
Don't see how Microsoft or Dell will cope with this. Appel already has the iPod with controversial cell-ohone networks exclusivities.
Nokia could become the largest "computer" provider (as it already claims to be the largest camera manufacturer). They already have a cell phone with keyboard. Well, useable if you use the eraser side of a pencil.

My phone provider currently offer an LG KS360 for 149 Euro (with pencil-eraser keyboard
Of course, with a trap, must use the Vodaphone mobile film subscription.
This is early stages. I guess, by soon, harware will be given away.
And be "absolutely useless" without the proper subscription.

I think I ordered the spares for my last desktop this week-end.
Shortest warranty is 24 months for the MB. Maybe the switch to cloud will be sooner.
----
Edit,
rem: Ballmer also cited Midori some weeks ago.
Now, SIPs, containers, VMs, ... same objective: separate processes and consolidate servers.
Tool has to be chosen. One provider will win.
----
Re-edit:
Thinking of power savings.
A pencil-eraser terminal sure uses less Watts than a game desktop.
Consolidated servers use less power than the sum of individual desktop PCs.
Hence, they are "green", and "green" is in.
The next US presidency is all about "green" budget and "green" jobs.
That cloud computing could well be there very soon.

Last edited by lvlamb; 11th November 2008 at 12:08 AM.