DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General software and network

General software and network General OS-independent software and network questions, X11, MTA, routing, etc.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th September 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Default Console Fonts

I'm not sure where exactly this should go...

Is it possible to create (x)html so that when a certain portion is displayed in a textual browser (lynx, links) it renders differently - either different font or different color.

I am thinking as far as what might be in code tags in a forum or blog. Or even when a page displays bold or italics - or headings. This should display differently than normal text. I know lynx does some color renderings (though it isn't perfect), but links seems pretty monochrome.

Is this something that needs to be done differently in html (more than normal formatting tags) or something that needs configured in the browser ... or both?
And the WORD was made flesh, and dwelt among us. (John 1:14)
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th September 2008
Spam Deminer

elinks can display colors, you can change colors too.
But it do it differently than lynx - more userfriendly, and elinks on xterm (xterm and elinks compiled with 256colors support) can render html page in almost same colors as GUI browsers ...
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th September 2008
Arp Constable

The fonts used in a console (and terminal) I believe are dependent upon said terminals capabilities. AFAIK some terminal emulators can display multiple fonts but I don't think you can do that in FreeBSD or OpenBSDs vtty's.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th September 2008
Banned

I do believe TerryP is correct, due to the way X terminals work.. it's possible to emulate a terminal type but at the same time add a few "bonus" features (i.e: TrueType/FreeType fonts..)

This does not allow multiple fonts at a single time, features like bold and italics have special escape codes... xterm and friends simply translate this to an available font set.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th September 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Thanks, but I am thinking more along the lines of being in a console (not an xterm). I'm still learning my way around wscons and don't know all it's capabilities and limitations.

I just thought that in certain cases, changes in font/font-characteristics is very important. I know that it can do simple changes, such as bold, as in text editors - and even change color and have multicolor (TERM = wsvt25) - but I'm not sure what limits this has; or what applications can make use of this.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th September 2008
Banned

With what operating system? the "framework" has changed significantly between FreeBSD/NetBSD and OpenBSD.

At this time, there is no VESA vbe framebuffer for i386 OpenBSD.. it uses a classic 80x25/80x50 VGA text modes.

So fonts are pretty much limited, simplistic even.. but feel free to explore the manual pages, wsfontload(8).

Last edited by BSDfan666; 10th September 2008 at 12:39 AM.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th September 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
With what operating system? the "framework" has changed significantly between FreeBSD/NetBSD and OpenBSD.

At this time, there is no VESA vbe framebuffer for i386 OpenBSD.. it uses a classic 80x25/80x50 VGA text modes.

So fonts are pretty much limited, simplistic even.. but feel free to explore the manual pages, wsfontload(8).
I'm using NetBSD (4.0-current kernel as of June 2008) with wscons. I am looking at different TERMs right now - primarily switching between vt220 (default, I think) and wsvt25.