DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Ports and Packages

FreeBSD Ports and Packages Installation and upgrading of ports and packages on FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th January 2013
Port Guard

Question conflicts between two packages

Hello everyone,

When installing a new package (with make install clean) it happens quite often that the install ends up on a conflict, like :

Code:
Installing XXX ...pkg: XXX conflicts with YYY (installs files into the same place).  Problematic file: ...
For instance, I've had this problem with mod_fcgid and apache. If there is an upgrade of apache, then the compilation ends on a conflict between mod_fcgid and apache. For this case, I've found this roundabout : first delete mod_fcgid and then upgrade apache and then reinstall mod_fcgid. It works, but it's a bit weird.

And note that :
Code:
# grep mod_fcgid /usr/ports/UPDATING 
#
Same problem with texlive now (ports tree installed from portshaker) :
If I do : cd /usr/ports/print/texlive-scheme-full && make install clean, then after a while it ends up here :
Code:
===>   Registering installation for texlive-kpathsea-20130112 as automatic
Installing texlive-kpathsea-20130112...pkg: texlive-kpathsea-20130112 conflicts with texlive-core-20120628 (installs files into the same place).  Problematic file: /usr/local/share/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf
*** Error code 70

Stop in /usr/ports/print/texlive-kpathsea.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/print/texlive-bibtex.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/print/texlive-scheme-full.
Very strangely, if I rerun make install clean, I get another conflict :
Code:
Installing texlive-texlive-scripts-20130107...pkg: texlive-texlive-scripts-20130107 conflicts with texlive-core-20120628 (installs files into the same place).  Problematic file: /usr/local/share/texmf/scripts/texlive/rungs.tlu
*** Error code 70

Stop in /usr/ports/print/texlive-texlive-scripts.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/print/texlive-scheme-full
This situation is a bit confusing. I don't know how to resolve the problem with texlive, there are so many dependencies... I just don't know what to do.

Is there any trick to bypass this kind of problem ? Any option of make that could tell which files to keep, for instance ?

Thanks for any hint !
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th February 2013
Port Guard

Hello,
First of all, I don't use portshaker, but I encountered the problem with files conflicting, several times. Usually I notice it when upgrading my whole ports collecion (which for me is portmaster -ad)..
So we can conclude that this is a general ports collection's problem.

Usually, I noticed there are two main reasons for this:
1) A port change its name (eg tools-foobar becomes foobarutils). Then it's obvious that the "tools-foobar" must be uninstalled before attempting the ports upgrade.

2) A port gets merged into another port (eg foobar-modules becomes part of the foobar-all). Again, the problem is solved by uninstalling foobar-modules before attempting the ports upgrade.

As far as I could see, these issues are mentioned in /usr/ports/UPDATING file, together with the complete commands to solve the conflicting files, so you only have to copy/paste the removal commands and then re-attempt upgrade.

However, there could be mistakes maybe, like the one you mentioned with mod_fcgid. I don't have a clear explanation for that one..

Last edited by bsdnotbdsm; 17th February 2013 at 05:37 PM.