DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th September 2011
New User

Default Problem booting on i386

Hi,

I'm trying to get a look at OpenBSD 4.9 but it won't boot after installing. Kernel messages scroll past and then it goes black. The computer then goes into a power on/power off cycle every few seconds until I force a power off by holding down the power button. I've got a PL2303 USB serial port connected to a second PC but I can't figure out what it is called and don't know if it is recognised at boot for the set tty parameter. I've mounted the drive on a Linux box but all the files in /var/log are 0 length so it seems there is no kernel message logging on boot. Any other ideas ?

thanks
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th September 2011
Arp Constable

These are tough to troubleshoot. If you can try to watch the kernel messages and catch the last message to post. Other things to try:
1) Use ukc to disable acpi ukc
2) Fiddle with the BIOS settings
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th September 2011
More noise than signal

That you were able to install with the ramdisk kernel, yet not operate the full kernel, tends to indicate an ACPI related problem.

If disabling ACPI does not resolve the problem for you, please boot the ramdisk kernel once more (use "bsd.rd" at the "boot>" prompt, if you are using i386 or amd64), and capture the dmesg. The ramdisk kernel has mimimal userland tools, but you should be able to copy the dmesg to usb stick, diskette, etc. Additional tools may be available if you mount your drives and chroot into the root:

example of chrooting into your installed system from the ramdisk kernel shell:

# mount /dev/sd0a /mnt
<examine /mnt/etc/fstab, and if /usr is a separate mount, mount it also. Example below assumes sd0e is that partition>
# mount /dev/sd0e /mnt/usr
# /mnt/usr/sbin/chroot /mnt /bin/ksh

Last edited by jggimi; 13th September 2011 at 02:38 PM. Reason: corrected typo
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th September 2011
New User

Using ukc to disable ACPI worked, as did booting with the ramdisk kernel and chrooting. I'm now up and running. Thanks for the excellent advice.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th September 2011
More noise than signal

Unless your BIOS also happens to support APM, you should not be running with ACPI disabled for any length of time. ACPI controls your cooling; your processor may overheat. Your dmesg will tell you if APM is available, only if it does not find ACPI support or if ACPI is disabled.

(OpenBSD can use either ACPI or APM for fan management. Machines built during the ACPI transition years will have both.)