DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th April 2019
ISO Quartermaster

Default Cloud computing

What are your thoughts on cloud computing? Especially "Software as a Service" and "Function as a service" (serverless).
On the one hand it reduces traditional risks such as vulnerable-because-unpatched OS/software and minimizes human time needed to provide services/reduces costs.
On the other handful of tech companies are responsible for operating computer infrastructure of the world and clients have to make connections to their servers to do anything which means some sort of addiction to them.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th April 2019
More noise than signal

Obligatory: https://xkcd.com/908/

Whether the cloud services are flexible infrastructure offerings or flexible application hosting, they are just another type of purchased service that businesses can acquire when they do not want or need to provide these services organically within their own organizations. IT applications are usually not a core business function, instead the IT applications are used to operate the core business productively.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th April 2019
Bitchy Nerd Elitist

There is no Cloud, it's just somebody else's computer.

Interesting article: https://blog.codinghorror.com/the-cl...lses-computer/
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th April 2019
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head_on_a_Stick View Post
There is no Cloud, it's just somebody else's computer.

Interesting article: https://blog.codinghorror.com/the-cl...lses-computer/
I know there is no magic and there must be a server somewhere even when it comes to so-called serverless cloud services. Difference is in who owns, manages and updates infrastructure and operating system.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th April 2019
ISO Quartermaster

5 Essential Characteristics of Cloud Computing
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th April 2019
Spam Deminer

Like any other service the usefulness of the so-called cloud will depend on one's needs.

I. Is it more convenient to use a service than manage one's own system?

2. Is the price of a service worth the convenience.

For some it will be useful, for others not. Of course I am referring to using applications. Storing files on someone else's server is a different issue.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th April 2019
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacerdos_daemonis View Post
For some it will be useful, for others not. Of course I am referring to using applications. Storing files on someone else's server is a different issue.
In general applications process data (stored in files or databases). Data at least temporarily must be on cloud provider servers in order to process. Currently homomorphic encryption is unefficient, so data must be in unencrypted form.

Generally I am curious about yours opinions about public cloud and whether it leads us in good or bad direction.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th April 2019
More noise than signal

What matters for any external service hosting our data is how that data is managed. Who has access to plaintext when the data is at rest (on disk), or in motion (on networks).

I use cloud services personally, such as VPSs and encrypted backup. I have been involved organizationally/structurally with massive cloud deployment projects at $DAYJOB, but not with day to day operations.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th April 2019
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1-531g View Post
Generally I am curious about yours opinions about public cloud and whether it leads us in good or bad direction.
A huge public mainframe is one of those things that sounds good in theory, but would be bad in practice. Choice of applications and how they are configured would be determined by the provider. Inevitably the provider would also determine how applications would be allowed and not allowed to be used. In the end it would result in yet another level of control and even more loss of privacy than already exists.
Old 6th April 2019
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacerdos_daemonis View Post
A huge public mainframe is one of those things that sounds good in theory, but would be bad in practice. Choice of applications and how they are configured would be determined by the provider. Inevitably the provider would also determine how applications would be allowed and not allowed to be used. In the end it would result in yet another level of control and even more loss of privacy than already exists.
I hope non-public-cloud-connected, locally installable applications will be still developed.
From the programmer/developer perspective there still be options such as PaaS or FaaS to create applications, but operating systems choice will be limited. That's why I ask about PaaS on this forum about BSD family of operating systems.
Old 6th April 2019
More noise than signal

If you are buying a service, the underlying technology doesn't matter. Really. What matters is the service itself, and what it does or does not do. If that service requires privacy, authenticity, and authentication, then these are part of the purchase decision.

At $DAYJOB, there are a variety of "cloud" services purchased. There's plenty of SaaS, where an application is hosted by the application vendor. For any of these applications, no one involved in deployment or use care about the hosting platform's OS. What is cared about is the safety and security of the data, including controls for PII if applicable, safe harbor regulatory issues if applicable, integration of the application's data with other $DAYJOB applications, and then performance, availablity, and costs.

There are also thousands of virtual servers, running various OSes, and the host platforms at the service providers don't matter. What matters are the specific services offered by each of the providers.

As a personal example, I don't care that the Tarsnap service I purchase happens to run back-end services on FreeBSD VPSes running on Amazon's Linux-based AWS hosts. Nor do I care that they store my data using Amazon's EC2 services. What matters to me is that my data is deduplicated, compressed, and encrypted before it leaves my clients, and stored in three different geographies before the client is told the data has been successfully delivered. And I like the service's key managment, costs, and responsive support.

Tags
cloud computing, faas, iaas, paas, saas