DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th December 2010
Package Pilot

Default Virtualization software?

Is there any virtualization support in OpenBSD, like if I wanted to try Windows XP within OpenBSD? I checked openports.se but when I tried to go into the VMWare folder, it said no such category exists so I dunno now.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th December 2010
Administrator

There is only QEMU for that purpose (use with KQEMU kernel module to gain some speed).

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th December 2010
Banned

The kqemu module is only for the emulators/qemu-old port, the emulators/qemu port is now at 0.13.x and they removed support for kqemu upstream.

As stated by vermaden, there is no other "virtualization" program for OpenBSD, the existence of the "vmware" directory in CVS is due to the nature of CVS retaining directories, at one point their was an ancient "binary-only" version of vmware that used Linux emulation.. this has long since been removed.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th December 2010
Package Pilot

If you have experience with qemu, how did it work out for you? And compared to other software such as VMWare?
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th December 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
The kqemu module is only for the emulators/qemu-old port, the emulators/qemu port is now at 0.13.x and they removed support for kqemu upstream.
Why kqemu has ben removed? (I to not actively track QEMU changes since introduction of VirtualBox into FreeBSD world)

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th December 2010
Banned

They just phased it out, primary development of QEMU is done on Linux and there is more interest in "KVM" and kqemu was never really supported on 64-bit systems.

QEMU itself has improved in performance using "TCG", which translates emulated opcodes into native ones "on-the-fly" at runtime.

Sadly though, QEMU developers tend to break QEMU portability quite often.. up until recently the port was frozen at 0.9.x, and even now it's prone to segfaults and general unpleasantness.

VirtualBox is a joke, on systems without hardware virtualization features it mangles registers.. inaccurately emulating an x86, OpenBSD developers have reported this problem, Sun/Oracle aren't interested in fixing it.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th December 2010
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarscn View Post
If you have experience with qemu, how did it work out for you? And compared to other software such as VMWare?
Not much "experience", emulation is for debugging only.. this fad that people have with moving systems into virtualized environments is annoying and dangerous.

I can't compare with VMware, as I've never used it.. I don't run Linux or Windows, and I never used the ancient ports version that was long ago available.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th December 2010
Administrator

@BSDfan666

Thanks for input on that case mate, probably like everybody I have more feeling that more and more things are too much Linux oriented (and there are too much problems if it because some 'developers' are retards and are not able to write cross platform code because they jerk off about how great Linux is ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
VirtualBox is a joke, on systems without hardware virtualization features it mangles registers.. inaccurately emulating an x86, OpenBSD developers have reported this problem, Sun/Oracle aren't interested in fixing it.
I always make sure that I *have* these HARDWARE extensions so its not a problem for me, CPUs without it are pure shit for me (only Intel does that, AMD has virtualization hardware in ALL CPUs).

#9   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th December 2010
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden View Post
Thanks for input on that case mate, probably like everybody I have more feeling that more and more things are too much Linux oriented ...
It's a problem, that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden View Post
I always make sure that I *have* these HARDWARE extensions so its not a problem for me, CPUs without it are pure shit for me (only Intel does that, AMD has virtualization hardware in ALL CPUs).
Well, not on any of the processors I use, all my hardware is ancient.