DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

Old 5th September 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepuku View Post
Yet i know there is a new version of xxxterm but there was no update;

Code:
$ sudo pkg_info xxxterm
Information for inst:xxxterm-1.226
I see no newer version of xxxterm although there is one on the snapshots page of the mirror i use;

http://ftp.cc.uoc.gr/mirrors/OpenBSD...packages/i386/
To confirm the existence of this (newer than -release...) xxxterm package, one can check manually:
Code:
$ ftp -a ftp.cc.uoc.gr         
Connected to ftp.cc.uoc.gr.
220-*******************************************************************
220-*
220-*  University of Crete / Greece
220-*  Welcome to our anonymous ftp server.
220-*  This service can also be accessed via
220-*  http://ftp.cc.uoc.gr
220-*
220-*  If you have any problems or comments about this service,
220-*  please contact us via e-mail to ftpadm[at]cc.uoc.gr
220-*
220-*  Use is subject to audit at any time by CC/UoC management.
220-*
220-******************************************************************
331 Please specify the password.
230 Login successful.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> cd mirrors/OpenBSD/snapshots/packages/i386
250 Directory successfully changed.
ftp> dir xxxterm*
150 Here comes the directory listing.
-rw-r--r--    1 1001     1001       131282 Aug 16 22:13 xxxterm-1.425.tgz
226 Directory send OK.
ftp> bye
221 Goodbye.
$
So sepuku, you need to provide us the following information:
  1. Did you install the August 17 snapshot over 4.9-stable or did you upgrade from 4.9-stable to this snapshot?
  2. The ftp(1) session above shows that PKG_PATH needs to be modified to the following:

$ export PKG_PATH=ftp.cc.uoc.gr/mirrors/OpenBSD/snapshots/packages/i386

Provide us the output of the following:

$ echo $PKG_PATH
Quote:
I did *not* ran sysmerge and i don't intend to.
Might I remind you that we are spending significant time trying to figure out what you have done (amidst contradictory information...) in order to help you. I can assure you each of us has other things to do. Patience & clarity from your side will go a long way towards finding a solution.

Last edited by ocicat; 6th September 2011 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Add pretty colors... :-)
Old 5th September 2011
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepuku
i get Can't install "package" because of libraries for a lot of packages such as python.
There could be many reasons, but ... since we haven't seen the messages, we cannot tell you why this is occurring.

It is possible that you are pointing to the correct package path and there is a library out-of-sync; it happens from time to time as changes are made in -current to /usr/lib. But it is more likely that you were pointing to the wrong path -- attempting to install 4.9-release packages on a clean -current will fail due to the many library changes that have occurred since those packages were built in February.

But that is just a guess -- we have not seen the error messages.

If you want us to see the error messages, you'll find a tool like script(1) to be very helpful. In addition, filtering the output of script (usually the "typescript" file) through col(1) using the -b option will improve its readability.
Old 6th September 2011
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
Provide us the output of the following:

$ echo $PKG_PATH
That's the output;

Code:
ftp://ftp.cc.uoc.gr/mirrors/OpenBSD/snapshots/packages/i386/
Old 6th September 2011
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
If you installed the shapshot, this is fine. But if you upgraded to the snapshot, this is a requirement. Which did you do?
I did not make a clean install with a snapshot cd;

I inserted the stable 4.9 cd,connected via ftp to ftp.cc.uoc.gr and then chose this path for the downloads that the upgrade requires;

Code:
mirrors/OpenBSD/snapshots/i386
So it's an upgrade.So as you said before i must go for sysmerge right now.
Old 6th September 2011
Package Pilot

Quote:
From your prior posts in this confusing thread, you seem to be completely unaware of binary executable code vs. source code.
That's not correct;i'm aware of what's the difference,in fact i study programming in my free time.
Old 6th September 2011
Package Pilot

Quote:
Might I remind you that we are spending significant time trying to figure out what you have done (amidst contradictory information...) in order to help you. I can assure you each of us has other things to do. Patience & clarity from your side will go a long way towards finding a solution.
No you may not;

I mean i'm already aware of that,but since english is not my mother-language try to be indulgent as you were so far cause sometimes it might now clear what have i done.
Old 6th September 2011
More noise than signal

You are running a -current kernel, userland, and X. But you have not finished your upgrade. You must upgrade your architectural components to -current; they are still at 4.9-stable.

There have been many changes to OpenBSD's operational controls since 4.9. In particular, the rc(8) system has been significantly revised, the rc.d subsystem is now used by default for daemon management, both built-in and third party packages. The major changes you have missed are listed in the Following -current FAQ.

The sysmerge(8) program will help you merge the changes in /etc and /var that you have missed. It will automatically merge what it can, and ask you for guidance where needed.

If you don't use it, you will have to make these changes manually.

If you don't make these changes, either manually or with sysmerge, you are not running -current.

---------

Edited to add: using the 4.9-release version of the ramdisk kernel to install or upgrade to -current is neither supported nor advised -- the installation scripts change over time; and an important change may have been missed.

You have the ramdisk kernel installed on hard drive, by the way. Booting the -release CD was not necessary. It is in your root directory -- /bsd.rd.
Old 6th September 2011
More noise than signal

Sepuku:

The Following -current FAQ is mandatory for those of us who keep -current by building from source, and highly recommended for those of us who upgrade from snapshot to snapshot. It lists major changes to /etc and /var, and other key changes admins should be aware of to keep -current, and extra steps that might be needed to maintain -current from source.

You will find a link to it in the sidebar on the left side of the main FAQ page.
Old 6th September 2011
Administrator

Quote:
The Following -current FAQ is mandatory for those of us who keep -current by building from source, and highly recommended for those of us who upgrade from snapshot to snapshot.
There is another option sepuku can take if it is necessary to run -current.

Back up whatever personal files have been added to your 4.9-stable system, & simply install (not upgrade...) a recent snapshot. Running sysmerge(8) is only required when upgrading.

FWIW.
Old 8th September 2011
Package Pilot

Quote:
There is another option sepuku can take if it is necessary to run -current.

Back up whatever personal files have been added to your 4.9-stable system, & simply install (not upgrade...) a recent snapshot. Running sysmerge(8) is only required when upgrading.

I would have already done that but i want to upgrade i order to learn how it's done.Sooner or later i must learn how to do it.But since i made some wrong choices so far and maybe some changes too that might affect the system in the future,i might reinstall the -stable and then try to upgrade it.It's a good chance to dual boot with a linux since i need it too.

Tags
system sync, update, upgrade