DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th June 2011
Fdisk Soldier

Default Can't find packages for amd64 -current

Back with a new question. For three (and maybe more) days now, it seems that all ftp servers are empty of amd64 -current packages. Why is this happening?

I know I'm missing something. I just don't know what it is... I keep thinking it has something to do with the release cycle.

First time following -current, so I want to learn as much as I can about the process.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th June 2011
Package Pilot

@Daffy

I asked the guys I know if they know who stole all the amd64 from almost all the mirrors of -current...no one knows....but....some assured me that they are being rebuilt and pushed again to the mirrors afterwards.

cheers
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th June 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffy View Post
I keep thinking it has something to do with the release cycle.
When dealing with -current, one is dealing with the fallout of new development.
  • A new vmmap implementation has been rolled into -current about a week ago. This has broken a number of packages. More information can be found on misc@:

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&w=2&r=1&s=vmmap&q=b
  • Also if I recall correctly, there were library changes from about three week back which means everything on a system has to be updated. Many -current packages available today will expect these library changes to be in place.
-current does not remain static during the development cycle. It's not often that rolling new features in causes a mass shakeout, but it does on occasion. Users of -current really should be reading misc@ on a regular basis to stay abreast of these changes & their effect.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th June 2011
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmemo View Post
@Daffy

I asked the guys I know if they know who stole all the amd64 from almost all the mirrors of -current...no one knows....but....some assured me that they are being rebuilt and pushed again to the mirrors afterwards.

cheers
So that's not a normal behavior. It would be interesting to know what happened.

Thank you for your answer.

[edit]:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
-current does not remain static during the development cycle. It's not often that rolling new features in causes a mass shakeout, but it does on occasion. Users of -current really should be reading misc@ on a regular basis to stay abreast of these changes & their effect.
Thank you too, ocicat. You are right about misc@... try to keep reading carefully all information.

Last edited by Daffy; 8th June 2011 at 10:10 AM. Reason: add answer to ocicat
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th June 2011
Banned

The amd64 packages were deleted accidentally, new ones will show up soon if they haven't already.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th June 2011
More noise than signal

For Daffy, and anyone else new to -current, please see this post of mine in an earlier thread about snapshot package management and problems that may appear if one is not very careful with keeping everything, including dependent libraries, in sync. It links to a long mailing list discussion which will be helpful.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th June 2011
Package Pilot

I keep my eyes on this web site when ever I intend to upgrade a snap or else

http://www.rhaalovely.net/up2date.html

Tags
packages -current