DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th September 2011
Package Pilot

Default Dual Booting Questions

Since my openbsd's installation is not working well with the nvidia video card,i intend to dual boot OpenBSD with a linux distro or with FreeBSD.

But i have some questions first:

The installation i want to make is on a 250 hard disk should be like this;

-OpenBSD partition 220 gb
-Linux or FreeBSD partition 30gb(OK it want be excactly 30 i know that).

1)If i choose Linux i want it to be ext2 so i can share files between the OSes correct?

2)On the other hand if i choose FreeBSD it should be UFS1 correct?

3)Which OS should i install first?

On the "INSTALL.linux" on the FAQ it says ""If you are starting from scratch, it is better to install Linux first."

On the other hand in order to gain some additional info i downloaded a pdf copy of "Absolute OpenBSD" and says the opposite ;

"if you are sharing a hard drive between OpenBSD and Linux, install OpenBSD first. Both Linux and FreeBSD can
recognize OpenBSD partitions and will easily work around them.
Linux can read OpenBSD file systems, if you have a Linux kernel that supports BSD disklabels."

Which one should i trust?

4)Independently of which OS i install first should i give it all the space and then repartition it using the second OS installation?

5)Do i need to swap partitions?One for each OS?

Last edited by sepuku; 10th September 2011 at 02:43 AM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th September 2011
More noise than signal

As I mentioned via PM, Absolute OpenBSD has some out-of-date information. One of the things out-of-date are restrictions on location for boot.

Follow the guidance from the Project.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th September 2011
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepuku View Post
1)If i choose Linux i want it to be ext2 so i can share files between the OSes correct?
Yes.
Quote:
2)On the other hand if i choose FreeBSD it should be UFS1 correct?
I don't use FreeBSD, -- so this information may be incorrect, but I believe the two native filesystems are incompatible. I would share storage, if necessary via an ext2 filesystem.
Quote:
4)Independently of which OS i install first should i give it all the space and then repartition it using the second OS installation?
I would not. Think: how will you manage your repartitioning? If the answer is, "I don't know" then you have not thought this through sufficiently.
Quote:
5)Do i need to swap partitions?One for each OS?
You will have to be able to meet the needs of each operating system's swap provisioning requirements. Example: You could use a Linux swap partition (typically an extended MBR partition) by mapping those sectors into a BSD partition. If it is not the "b" partition, you will have to use swapctl(8) or swapon(8) in /etc/rc.local. If you don't know exactly how to conduct this yourself .... then do not bother trying, and let each OS have its own swap space.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th September 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepuku View Post
Independently of which OS i install first should i give it all the space and then repartition it using the second OS installation?
Absolutely not. Figure out what size each MBR partition will have before starting anything.
Quote:
Do i need to swap partitions?One for each OS?
Think about it. Ultimately, each OS is independently installed on the same drive. If you are wondering if a single swap partition can be shared between operating systems, don't entertain the thought for another moment. Swap is not compatible.

Tags
dual boot, freebsd, linux, openbsd 4.9, partitioning