DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Other Operating Systems > Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like

Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like Any other flavour of BSD or UNIX that does not have a section of its own.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th May 2008
New User

Default Firefox and subpixel hinting in Debian

Hi guys, I'm using Debian Etch running KDE and Firefox, I've enabled subpixel hinting but the browsers (same thing happens with Konqueror) render any page without smoothing the edges of the fonts, which makes text unreadable on an LCD screen. AA works fine for other apps, and also for Firefox itself, on the menus, that is. I really wouldn't like to set a standard font for all pages (I don't even know if that'd give me AA, haven't tried it), I'd prefer letting web sites choosing their own fonts, but I need them to be antialiased.

This is what i've been suggested and tried so far, to no avail:
- www.sharpfonts.com
- disabling bitmap fonts, enabling subpixel hinting and autohinting globally via /etc/fonts/conf.d

Basically all I need to do is code and browse, and I can do neither if fonts are hard to read. I need something equivalent to MS's ClearType.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Edit/Delete Message

Tags
antialiasing, debian, firefox, hinting, kde