DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Security

FreeBSD Security Securing FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th May 2008
Package Pilot

Default chroot/jailing users

So I wanna do a little work to up the security of my FreeBSD 6 machine. Specifically, I want to prevent users who are using SCP/SFTP from wandering outside of their home directories. What are my options? Is there a way to chroot them?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th May 2008
Administrator

Have a look at at scponly http://sublimation.org/scponly/wiki/index.php/Features. Never used it myself though

scp is in the FreeBSD ports (shell category).
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th May 2008
Package Pilot

I have installed scponly and given it a shot. It's odd. Not really what I'm looking for. It creates all kind of strange directories, like a miniature filesystem, and can't be applied to pre-existing users. I really just want to make them not be able to jump up a directory.

I guess this would be alright if it were possible to chdir the user into some nice clean directory where they didn't have all that excess stuff?My users are simple folk and all that mess will cause me phonecalls I don't want.

Last edited by Weaseal; 16th May 2008 at 11:51 PM. Reason: I felt like it
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th May 2008
Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaseal
Specifically, I want to prevent users who are using SCP/SFTP from wandering outside of their home directories. What are my options? Is there a way to chroot them?
There is not a really good solution to this precise problem that I am aware of.

The way I currently handle this is I build a FBSD jail specifically for the shell users, and I give them scponly shells. Finally, I "chmod go-rwx" each of their home directories. The worst they can do is navigate around the jail, and they can't access any home directory apart from their own.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th May 2008
Port Guard

Hmmm.. what the users are supposed to do after login? If all they can is just to take and put the files, I would restrict the shell at all.
You can make a try for /etc/ttys file configuration. You can put the shell script or one program that will be launched after the login.
Some time ago I saw the script proposed by one book. This script was made as a menu and meant to run after the login. This menu contained just few apps - no shells.

After all, if you have good enough secured the sensitive information by means of groups and permissions, it should be ok for users to walk around. They will find nothing interesting for them.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th May 2008
New User

Hello, I'd suggest the built-in chroot() functionality in openssh-portable-5.0.p1 - I don't think there is better solution.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th May 2008
Port Guard

I don't know about the internals of scp, but I assume on a connection attempt the usual user shell is executed before any access to files is granted?
However, you might want to consider using bash's restricted option (rbash), which disallows changing directory at all and additionaly adds some other nice possibilities. Another idea would be shells/ibsh:
Quote:
Iron Bars Shell is a restricted Unix shell. The user can not step out of, nor
access files outside the home directory. It is written in C for Linux. No
libraries used. It is small, fast, secure. Two ascii configuration files for
more control.