DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th April 2010
New User

Default How - To install GNOME vile I install OpenBSD ?

Hey I want, to be complete free of Linux (I use Mac OS normally and Ubuntu) so I want to install OpenBSD, but when I install OpenBSD I don't get a graphical desktop environment, and I want to use GNOME, or what you would think is best (but I will not use KDE).
So how do I install a GDE doing the installation?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th April 2010
Custom Title Maker

looop, You should read the FAQ extensively, especially Section 11, and Section 15. Once you have read the FAQ, and tried following it, post again with any specific questions. The OpenBSD documentation is very good and up-to-date, and you should be able to follow its advice. If you have difficulty with understanding it, this forum is another excellent resource.

Welcome to OpenBSD and this forum!
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th April 2010
Custom Title Maker

Smile

Oh, and while you're here, take a gander at jggimi's What makes a perfect newbie? post. It is a well-written guide for newcomers to this forum and {Free,Open,Net}BSD. The term newbie doesn't have as bad a connotation here as it does in other FOSS communities.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th April 2010
New User

Well I now, I have use Debian and other Linux thing for years, and actually written, what you have written many times over
But for some reason I can't enter the FAQ site, I get this error HTTP Error 401 Unauthorized I should perhaps have written that.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th April 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by looop View Post
So how do I install a GDE doing the installation?
You don't. Installation of third-party applications via the packages/ports system is done after installation. As marcolino indicates, you have a lot of reading to do to acquaint yourself to OpenBSD & the OpenBSD culture.
  • For information on installation, study Section 4 of the FAQ.
  • For information on OpenBSD's packages/ports system, study the FAQ's Section 15.
Don't expect that you can simply take the defaults in the install process, & everything will be fine. OpenBSD's installation script requires thinking & knowledge upfront of what you intend. Failure to take the time to read the FAQ is cheating yourself & setting yourself up for a great deal of frustration.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th April 2010
More noise than signal

Since you seem to be behind a firewall that prevents access to the main Project site in Canada, I recommend one of the mirrors. Since you are in Denmark, try a closer site:

www.openbsd.dk - main site
http://www.openbsd.dk/faq/index.html
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th April 2010
New User

@ocicat not to provoke or anything, do you mind read my last post, if you did you could read I don't have access to FAQ site, otherwise I would have read it, my self, and sorry for asking.

@jggimi
Thanks, I did know the danish page, so thank you very much, and through that I've access to the FAQ site, so NOW I can read about.

And sorry for wasting your time