DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th September 2010
Package Pilot

Default VirtualBox late info

First thing I learn about VirtualBox running Fedora-13 as guest on a Windows-7 machine, it take 100% cpu off the top. Windows 2003 takes 1-8% ... and now I read this late in Chapter-6:

"VirtualBox also has limited support for so-called jumbo frames, i.e. networking packets with more than 1500 bytes of data, provided that you use the Intel card virtualization and bridged networking. In other words, jumbo frames are not supported with the AMD networking devices; in those cases, jumbo packets will silently be dropped for both the transmit and the receive direction. Guest operating systems trying to use this feature will observe this as a packet loss, which may lead to unexpected application behavior in the guest. This does not cause problems with guest operating systems in their default configuration, as jumbo frames need to be explicitly enabled."

I don't need no packet loss even if only for testing and what up with the price for Vmware 7.1.1. I got the 30 day trial. Been a week of non-use and I seen no price yet so that means a trick is coming (one year licenses, etc). I guest KVM is the way to go but with LINUX/x-WINDOWS 100% CPU usages somebody is very confused ... and where was the clue before chapter-2. If I did catch this days latter I be facing a electric bill 40-60-80 times its present size. I'm surprise my machine did not burn-up over-night. Vbox is so easy and it works, but WHY???

http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch06.html

WEB-1 = PF and Gateway for LAN.
WEB-2 = Win-7 host, vBOX guest Fedora-13
WEB-3 = simple web access and cross-browsers coding on private web sever WEB-4 = Web sever - BSD machine with WWW tools, each jailed.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th October 2010
Package Pilot

VMWare is cool. I never installed it but when the trial was up they e-mail me the price of $99.00 That's not bad. I thought it was going to be like Eset Nod32 Antivirus. After their trial was up their e-mail said $89.00 per year or every two years, I forgot. It was sooooooo good but I can't get tie-up in paying for software by the year. Too much of that would take me out the game.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th October 2010
Banned

I don't use virtualization software, but, I do know that both VMWare player and server are free.

http://www.vmware.com/products/player/
http://www.vmware.com/products/server/

VMWare is probably the only VM product that appears to be supported by OpenBSD developers, or, at least partially tolerated.. there is even a driver now for some of the guest OS functions.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st October 2010
Package Pilot

Thanks BSDfan666,

Quote:
VMWare is probably the only VM product that appears to be supported by OpenBSD developers, or, at least partially tolerated.. there is even a driver now for some of the guest OS functions.
I did not know PcBSD supported VMWare. But I do know they got a kick butt VirtualBox PBI, and once I switch to VMWare, I'll be in PC heaven. Now "ALL" Windows versions has a place on my machines once again, but only in VM.

http://www.pbidir.com/bt/pbi/213/virtualbox

Anyway, I gone head over hills for PcBSD as my ultimate workstation until QUANTUM. I need to get to work now. I wasted too much time trying to learn how to do it all myself. PCBSD is fine with me. It's mind blowing. I never liked Explorer but now I love KDE, but like Windows multi-windows mode, GNOME is as strong if not stronger than the greatest thing Windows ever had going for itself "Open each folder in its own window" (which unfortunately ended with XP). I haven't found out how to do that with Vista or Windows-7, to date. PcBSD-GNOME is kicking a*s on my AMD. Now I think and work better with FreeBSD servers as servers from there, without the help of LINUX partition-format in the way. BSD for BSD ... my biggest worry ever is finally over

I get it now.

Thanks again BSDfan666
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st October 2010
Banned

Apologies, didn't realize this was the FreeBSD section... also, I don't believe VMWare works using any of the BSD's.

I was speaking of VMware on a Windows (..or possibly Linux) host, the player is free on these other platforms... OpenBSD has some partial support running as a guest, I know nothing of FreeBSD (..or PCBSD's) support in that regard.