DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General Hardware

General Hardware General hardware related questions.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th January 2015
Too dumb for a smartphone

Default Gigabit ethernet usage at home

Gigabit ethernet has been around for a long time now, yet I still see a lot of retail stuff at the "fast" 100 Mbps level. A couple of recent threads on this forum have mentioned gigabit ethernet in passing.

I am just curious about the adoption rate of gigabit ethernet in "home networks". For those of you who may be using ethernet as part of a home network, do you use gigabit ethernet (or faster) and if so to what extent? If not, why not?

Thanks to any forum members who may wish to respond.

In my case, no, I'm not using it. I only have one ethernet adapter (an sk(4) built into a motherboard) that supports it, and don't feel it's anywhere close to worth spending money on more supporting hardware, for my usage.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th January 2015
More noise than signal

I have several devices which support it (switch, NICs) but do not use it. My cabling is all Category 5, and I don't have an application that can exploit the bandwidth.

$DAYJOB uses it extensively.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th January 2015
VPN Cryptographer

I have a Intel gigabit nic in my workstation (replaced my broadcom on board nic because it was unstable at gigabit speeds under FreeBSD 10.1) it was under $25 dollars. Have cat6 cable connecting it to my routers gigabit port. Can't says I see a difference in using cat5 or cat6 but when I was troubleshooting the on board nic I got the cable to rule that out.

I do a lot of torrent downloading and I connecting to work via a VPN and I can see a real difference in performance with gigabit speed.

Doesn't everything for home now (at least in the 3 or 4 years) come with gigabit support?
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th January 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddierod View Post
Doesn't everything for home now (at least in the 3 or 4 years) come with gigabit support?
Well, of course I don't know for sure, tending to look at mostly the cheapest stuff, which is less likely to do gigabit. But yes, I'd expect that for any $TYPE_OF_DEVICE it will be available with gigabit. But unless that speed is critical for the use, it will also still be widely available without it. So the question is, how much has the long term, and now affordable, availability of gigabit translated into actual use? (And nearby questions, like why, and will it be very different in a few years?)
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th January 2015
Rc.conf Instructor

I have no idea where you guys live but here 10 miles north of down-town Pittsburgh I have Armstrong cable which is suppose to be 15 Mbps advertised download speed and God knows what upload speed. I am constantly monitoring downloading speed and the best is in the morning about 10 Mbps. In the evening speed is anywhere 1-3 Mbps mostly bellow 2 Mbps. I called customer service couple times but it is pointless as those people do not have clue what I am talking about. They point me to some bullshit websites full of flash to convince me that my speed is 15 Mbps. Due to the lack of competition there is no alternative. I live in high income area. I could just imagine how things look in the rest of the country.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th January 2015
VPN Cryptographer

I live 6 miles south of Pittsburgh, Small world! I assume you are around Cranberry area which is pretty new as towns go. I have the options of FIOS and Comcast cable. I currently use Comcast and using methods - I believe that were posted on this board I am getting the advertised download speeds.

@IdOp
As for the use question, I think when more people move away from cable tv and streaming more and more the use will increase. I don't have cable tv and have a Roku device but it only has 100M port, pretty sure that if it did my live streaming soccer channel would look as good as it did on Directv.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th January 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddierod View Post
I think when more people move away from cable tv and streaming more and more the use will increase.
Agreed for sure. It seems in these parts the cable cord-cutters are now more than 5%. Of course, cord-cutting isn't necessary to consume bandwidth, a netflix subscription will do that and I suspect there are many times 5% with those kind of subscriptions (most still with conventional tv too).
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th January 2015
Wannabe OpenBSD porter

My core switch at home is a Cisco 2948 that operates at 10/100. I'd upgrade to, say, a 2960 or 3750, but I can't justify the cost (mainly with the wife, but I'm having a hard time denying the "overpricy-ness" of Cisco equipment). Even with everything running full blast (wife playing games/streaming twitch/etc... kids watching Netflix, etc... and me, well, doing what I do) the bottleneck is still the internet connection and not the switch. I should mention that all Windows machines on my network are on their own /30 vlan, so none of them can talk to each other. Cuts down quite a bit on the chattiness of the network. Even still, the main trunk to the firewall has bottleneck'd a time or two (large internal transfers between vlans + lots of internet traffic), so when I moved up north and rebuilt the firewall, I built it with an active-active LACP link between the switch and firewall. I haven't had any issues since.

I have a few smaller side switches that are gigabit (nothing that really *needs it*), but given my 50 Mbps home internet connection I'm not in a huge hurry to upgrade. Once I get FiOS that may change, but for now I can't justify the cost.

Last edited by rocket357; 11th April 2015 at 06:30 PM. Reason: typo: 2600 != 2960
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th April 2015
Port Guard

I am using gigabit links at home. Considered even running multiple cables and trying Link Aggregation. Eyeing 10Gbit/s adapters now instead
Old 11th April 2015
Open Source Software user

Not sure if I have any, didn't specifically buy them if I have, only occassionally use cat5 (mainly crossover) between machines, so wouldn't really benefit from them.