DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st December 2009
Package Pilot

Default Broadcom BCM4322

I found it by dumping dmesg into a file and looking through it because I could not scroll up on the terminal screen. Also dmesg | grep Broadcom works (case sensitive. Didn't work for me before because I didn't capitalize)

"Broadcom BCM4322" rev 0x01 at pci3 dev 0 function 0 not configured

Is there a workaround to get this working?

Quote:
The BCM4322 chipset ID was
removed from bwi(4) a few months ago
(http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-cvs&m=122116715708453&w=2).
Noooooooo

Last edited by guitarscn; 21st December 2009 at 03:56 AM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st December 2009
Administrator

And what about
Code:
$ dmesg | less
What is the result of ifconfig -A?
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st December 2009
Banned

That's not going to help him J65nko, the bwi(4) driver only works for rev 3 chipsets.

For the longest time these devices were attached as bwi(4), leading to the impression that they worked.. this was fixed a few releases ago.

Unless you can replace this device (..MiniPCI/PCI-E), your only option is a USB device.. many of the run(4) devices are smaller than a thumb drive, always an option.

Good luck, you can post your dmesg as an attachment.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st December 2009
Package Pilot

Will this wireless card ever be supported, or is something preventing it from being so? The only thing stopping me from using OBSD as my 24/7 workstation is the wireless. Of course I can always go out and buy a new quality one (the one I have now on my MacBook Pro has like 10x better range than my old card and it supports wireless-N) for $100 but I can wait a while if there are ever any plans to have drivers for this. Otherwise I can just use OBSD for other stuff, just not as my desktop
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st December 2009
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarscn View Post
Will this wireless card ever be supported?
Wrong place to ask. We're just users.

About half of the OpenBSD Project developers can be found on the misc@ mailing list. The -reason- your card it is not currently supported can be found right in the misc@ archives.

See http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=122831139602479&w=2

Users can influence the pace of development by providing hardware to developers. If you can't do that, you'll have to wait.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st December 2009
Banned

It's not exactly an easy thing to do, write drivers.. especially high quality ones.. without a whole lot of vendor assistance.

If a driver does show up, it'll be because someone chooses to write one.. this may or may not happen.. everyone is free to do the work and send a patch to the mailing list.

A USB wireless card is far less than $100, it's closer to $30.. run(4) devices do support 802.11n, but OpenBSD's wireless stack doesn't support it yet (..regardless of the device).
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st December 2009
Package Pilot

I just don't like USB because I only have two slots which means I'll have to buy something else for more slots.

Also I don't understand what "different radio" means?
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st December 2009
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarscn View Post
I just don't like USB because I only have two slots which means I'll have to buy something else for more slots.
USB can be networked. Google for "USB Hub".
Quote:
Also I don't understand what "different radio" means?
Perhaps there is a language problem. Your NIC has a different physical component that manages wireless communication.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/radio
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st December 2009
Package Pilot

Yes I know about USB hubs and stuff but I'm saying it'd cost more money on top of the wireless card.

Okay thanks for the help
Old 21st December 2009
More noise than signal

Until a driver exists, you must choose between one of these three options:
  • an external NIC
  • OpenBSD without WiFi
  • another OS
Old 21st December 2009
./dev/null

I must say, about you top forum posters (you helpful ones, you know who you are), the quality of information (and response time) provided is DAM good, i have seen less quality support with ridiculous answers that cost ALOT of money from very big coorporations, cudo's fellows keep up the good work.

I must admit i intentionally try and stay away from the everday stuff because i get enough of it IRL, i would much rather be riding my bike(cycle) or jogging (not trying to be snotty or otherwise, i just appreciate my time even more when i do get it to myself) ...
Package Pilot

I can't seem to pry myself away from OBSD. I'm considering opening the Macbook and putting in a new wireless card (since I really hate USB ones)

I wish I knew how to code well...then I'd write the driver myself

Last edited by guitarscn; 21st December 2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old 21st December 2009
Package Pilot

Actually, I don't think any of these are a good idea from what I'm told...a friend of mine who is a former employee (who does not like Apple at all) says every PC maker except Apple uses SMbus, some semi-autonomous electronics to do low level hardware management and Apple doesn't and they use something called SMC instead which forces the OS to do the low level stuff and only OSX (and Windows BootCamp) have the right drivers for the SMC to handle CPU Vcore which would mean that any other OS besides OSX is actually destroying the CPU.
Old 22nd December 2009
More noise than signal

I think you need to Google for the acronym "FUD". By the way, if your macbook has a Cardbus or PCMCIA slot, or a mini-PCI slot, you have more options than USB.
Old 22nd December 2009
Banned

I read they newer MacBooks do indeed use Mini PCI-E devices, not entirely sure if they have any sort of "approved vendor" list.. but you can always find a supported device and see how it works.

As for Apple adding some sort of feature that caused overheating for non-Apple operating systems, that sounds silly.. considering they support this feature via that BootCamp thing so users can install Microsoft Windows and whatnot, it's not some sort of 3rd party thing.
Old 22nd December 2009
Package Pilot

Yea, I think it has the Apple Airport Extreme- 802.11n Wireless Mini-PCIe Card for Intel Based Mac Desktop & Notebooks