DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th June 2008
Port Guard

Default HDTV

What power ( in Ghz ) is required to view a HDTV movie ? just a basic question. I want to have a mobile computer that should be able to play such a HDTV movie so what kind of processor is required the cheaper the better

Regrades Snoop1990
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th June 2008
Port Guard

The CPU requirements for playing HDTV are significant. While XvMC support (NVIDIA only) offloads some of the work to the video card, it is not recommended to design a new system around using XvMC since it can be a hassle to get working well.

The actual minimum requirements are hard to pin down, as people have reported conflicting results. Relevant factors may include the bus speed, memory speed, CPU speed, kernel version, Linux/BSD distribution, and compiler version and optimizations.

* Use two RAM DIMM's to allow for dual channel operation which can provide a significant boost in overall system speed.

1080p+

For more information on ripping and playing Blu-ray and HD-DVD disk formats, see High Definition Disk Formats.

Many users who believe their machine capable of HD-DVD or Blu-ray playback have only attempted to play transcoded rips which, as discussed above, often have their bitrates reduced by 50 to 75 percent.

Blu-ray and HD-DVD rips are, for feature only, generally between 17 GB and 35 GB, and up to 50 GB for the entire disc. The bitrate generally varies between approximately 20 Mbit and 40 Mbit. Most Blu-ray and HD-DVD discs now use E-AC3, mlp, or Dolby TrueHD as their only sound format. A few older discs have both the new formats and AC3 Tracks, but this is less and less common. Ffmpeg SVN was recently updated to support TrueHD/mlp. Support should appear soon in mplayer. E-AC3 patches are in line for inclusion in ffmpeg, and are available on the ffmpeg development list. The only way to play back the audio on new Blu-ray and HD-DVD rips currently is to patch mplayer.

Some side Notes...

HDTV recordings typically consume slightly under 9GB per hour.

As of 0.19 a "lossless" mpeg2 transcode has been implemented. This method is used for the default transcode. This method will allow the user to cut commercials without losing any of the HDTV quality as only the frames necesary to be reencoded to maintain proper playback will be encoded. For commercial cutting these frames are usually all black, with a possible station logo, and so no quality loss should be seen at all. This transcode also has the added benefit of audio sync correction similar to what ProjectX does, as well as converting the MPEG2 TS stream to a PS stream with up to a possible 20% savings in file size on top of any cuts made.

Hope this answers your question

Reference: Wikipedia/HD/1080p/Personal Experience

Last edited by Eam404; 26th June 2008 at 03:58 PM.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th June 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eam404 View Post
Hope this answers your question

Reference: Wikipedia/HD/1080p/Personal Experience
Sorry not really, I am searching for a low power cpu that is able to run HDTV movies ! Can you please give me a ghz number ? is one ghz is enough ? or 2 ghz ? Please help me I should build some computer with minimal resources but to fit the users needs best. ...
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th June 2008
Port Guard

Ive had no problems "viewing" HD movies on 1Ghz+
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th June 2008
New User

Default IMO

IMO, 1GHZ will not be enough. My experience with playing Blu-Ray on a Vista (i know not the same) box has not been very pleasant. The machine has a Athlon X2 @ 2.5GHZ and 2 GB of memory and still jitters during scenes of high intensity. The machine is using a AMD 790G motherboard and is offloading some of the playback duties onto the onboard video and we are still seeing jitter, lag, annoyance. This may be more of a PowerDVD problem than anything else however there are not many apps out there taking advantage of the hardware acceleration. I am not sure the open source community has the information required in order to develop a solution to leverage the capabilities of AMD and Nvidia cards for HD content. I have a Playstation3, and luckily Sony stays on top of updating the firmware and I have seen no issues regarding playback.

Short Answer:
If decoding cpu only, bring alot, possibly quad core.
If decoding video/cpu, do your research, this depends greatly on software support.

Info:
http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/suppo...q.jsp?FID=2576
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=808841
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th June 2008
Port Guard

nniemeyer makes some good points however you should use mplayerc [Media Player Classic] Ive had similar issues with PowerDVD MPC really fixed my jitter issues.

If you want to be on the safe side go with 2.0+ -- As I stated before 1Ghz+ I personally have not had any problems.

Perhaps if you post a budget I can help you pick out some hardware?
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th July 2008
Port Guard

Thanks for your help !

I guess I choose some 2 ghz that is enough and not too fast either.
my own small forum:pro-connect.co.cc

Tags
hdtv, movie