DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th September 2008
BSD newb

Default DesktopBSD & usb wifi

Hi all...

My first post here and really new to BSD. I absolutely love it. I've been a linux usr for years- Ubuntu in particular but have grown weary of certain stability issues...

So I sought out something better. I'm hoping this is the right forum section.

My Toshiba has an internal usb wifi adapter that uses the Realtek 8187b driver. I've used ndiswrapper in the past just fine.

I messed around a little with ndisgen and converted the driver to a .ko- I was really tired though, and was just playing cut-n-paste commands. Skipped the ASCii step. Oops. Never believed it would actually work anyway.

I'm just a neophyte and fumbling my way... Is there any hope for my laptop?

Thanks
rad
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th September 2008
Spam Deminer

Currently NDIS code of FreeBSD doesnt have real support for USB devices, so forget about NDIS when playing with USB cards.

There is upgt(4) driver (for your card, well I thinks so, because I do not know on which chipset is your card based) in development available in CURRENT(FreeBSD 8.0). You also can fetch monthly generated snapshots of CURRENT from www.freebsd.org/snapshots