DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th March 2014
Port Guard

Default pxeboot install from remote server to my LAN

Hey everyone. I'm a neophyte that is trying to install OpenBSD from my remote gentoo server. Is it possible to have my bsd.rd and pxeboot in a remote location and boot my LAN from it? I have asked in the gentoo forums and mailing list with no response.(Guess because I'm trying to install OpenBSD)

Last edited by chessmaster; 4th March 2014 at 03:23 AM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th March 2014
More noise than signal

Yes, you can use other systems. PXE booting only requires a DHCP server and a TFTP server -- they need not be the same architecture; they do not have to be the same OS.

The DHCP server provides the name of the file to transfer and boot via TFTP, and if needed it provides the address of the TFTP server.

An explanation (using the OpenBSD versions of dhcpd(8) and tftpd(8) for configuration examples) can be found in pxeboot(8). You'll need to copy the pxeboot bootloader (/usr/mdec/pxeboot) and the RAMDISK kernel bsd.rd to your TFTP server.

Once you've used pxeboot, and are comfortable with it, you may find yourself wanting to run OpenBSD partially or entirely from your network. See diskless(8) if you're interested.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th March 2014
More noise than signal

Sorry, the pxeboot(8) man page does not show how to configure your DHCP server if the TFTP server is on a separate platform. If they are not on the same machine, you need to configure the DHCP server with the option next-server to provide the separate IP address of the TFTP server. See dhcpd.conf(5) if this is needed.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th March 2014
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
Yes, you can use other systems. PXE booting only requires a DHCP server and a TFTP server -- they need not be the same architecture; they do not have to be the same OS.

The DHCP server provides the name of the file to transfer and boot via TFTP, and if needed it provides the address of the TFTP server.

An explanation (using the OpenBSD versions of dhcpd(8) and tftpd(8) for configuration examples) can be found in pxeboot(8). You'll need to copy the pxeboot bootloader (/usr/mdec/pxeboot) and the RAMDISK kernel bsd.rd to your TFTP server.

Once you've used pxeboot, and are comfortable with it, you may find yourself wanting to run OpenBSD partially or entirely from your network. See diskless(8) if you're interested.
Is it possible to do this remotely from a remote location? Thanks for the information. I guess I need to do some more reading on DHCP to understand the rather obtuse parameters and declarations.

Last edited by chessmaster; 4th March 2014 at 03:19 AM.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th March 2014
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessmaster View Post
Is it possible to give to have my bsd.rd and pxeboot in a remote location and boot my LAN from it?
Your installation server needs to be configured to serve the TFTP protocol. Since the client upon booting doesn't know anything about where or what TFTP server it is to use, PXE requires the client to broadcast its request, & whatever server responds is the server used. This is the same model used by DHCP. If the server on the same subnet does not respond, it is a question of whether the intervening routers are configured to pass broadcast messages from one subnet to another. If you have control over all of the intervening routers, you may be able to separate the client(s) from the TFTP server, but if you are doing this over the Internet, remember that the protocol specifies that the "first server" responds to the request. If this isn't your server, this is a problem.

For more information, study Section 6.10 of the official FAQ, & the tftp(1), tftpd(8), pxeboot(8) manpages.

In addition, you will need to study the boot(8) manpage for information on boot.conf as this file will be required on the TFTP server as well.

You may also want to study Wikipedia's introductory article on PXE. A PDF of Intel's specification can be found at the bottom of the article.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th March 2014
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
Your installation server needs to be configured to serve the TFTP protocol. Since the client upon booting doesn't know anything about where or what TFTP server it is to use, PXE requires the client to broadcast its request, & whatever server responds is the server used. This is the same model used by DHCP. If the server on the same subnet does not respond, it is a question of whether the intervening routers are configured to pass broadcast messages from one subnet to another. If you have control over all of the intervening routers, you may be able to separate the client(s) from the TFTP server, but if you are doing this over the Internet, remember that the protocol specifies that the "first server" responds to the request. If this isn't your server, this is a problem.

For more information, study Section 6.10 of the official FAQ, & the tftp(1), tftpd(8), pxeboot(8) manpages.

In addition, you will need to study the boot(8) manpage for information on boot.conf as this file will be required on the TFTP server as well.

You may also want to study Wikipedia's introductory article on PXE. A PDF of Intel's specification can be found at the bottom of the article.
Ok I will keep reading the man pages carefully to know the configurations of tftp and dhcpd.conf. The part that has me stomp and passing the right options for my LAN to find my DHCP remote server off site. Will keep battling this and post my working solution for other SA's.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th March 2014
Administrator

Quote:
The part that has me stomp and passing the right options for my LAN to find my DHCP remote server off site.
Basically, the client upon boot understands nothing about what Layer 3 IP address to use or where TFTP services originate. This requires the client to blindly broadcast request(s) for both DHCP & TFTP.

Is your DHCP server under your control or some ISP? If you have control, you need to look into how broadcast messages are getting from your client to the server. If you are using an ISP's DHCP server, chances are they aren't going to honor any request to add PXE booting to the information exchanged upon assigning an IP address.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th March 2014
More noise than signal

PXE booting uses two protocols: DHCP and TFTP.

DHCP requests begin as broadcasts, and broadcast traffic by its nature is not routable. The system being booted requires either a local DHCP server on the same subnet, or it requires a DHCP-relay server on the same subnet to relay requests to a central DHCP server elsewhere. Remember, DHCP assigns IP addresses, defines routes, and provides other network configurations to platforms and are almost always local to the subnet where the devices being configured are connected.

The TFTP protocol is routable, as it rides atop UDP. But, it is TFTP. From a security perspective, keep in mind what this could mean if you are using insecure network connections, such as the Internet: TFTP has no authentication, and packets are transmitted in plaintext. MITM attacks are possible, even if those attacks are low odds.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th March 2014
More noise than signal

Quote:
Is your DHCP server under your control or some ISP?
Many people use DHCP servers that they own or rent, every day, without ever realizing they have them. The most common DHCP servers on the planet are located inside of those small home routers, either purchased or leased from an ISP. Those private network "192.168.x.y" addresses that are assigned to all the devices in one's home are provided by a local DHCP server on premises.

However, none of these turn-key devices provide advanced DHCP features such as filename or next-server. For that, you have to disable the DHCP server in the router/gateway and provide a separate DHCP server yourself
Old 4th March 2014
Administrator

Quote:
DHCP requests begin as broadcasts, and broadcast traffic by its nature is not routable.
This is correct, however, Cisco routers can be configured to pass DHCP requests between networks (See the ip helper-address command which can be used to pass on different protocols utilizing UDP...). Hence, my question/admonition about how the client & server(s) are separated to chessmaster.
Quote:
From a security perspective, keep in mind what this could mean if you are using insecure network connections, such as the Internet: TFTP has no authentication, and packets are transmitted in plaintext. MITM attacks are possible, even if those attacks are low odds.
I completely concur that separating these services on different networks has ramifications which need to be understood. Since information has not been shared how remote is "remote", we can only speculate.
Old 4th March 2014
More noise than signal

Quote:
...however, Cisco routers can be configured to pass DHCP requests between networks...
My point was that a local service of some kind is needed on the subnet; for most of us it may as well be a local DHCP server. Large networks (such as ISPs) may be able to reduce management effort by centralizing DHCP servers, and use DHCP-relay platforms such as Cisco routers or other dhcrelay(8) equivalents.
Old 4th March 2014
Administrator

Having an extra box that you can use as a PXE server, is something I can recommend.

Save that old desktop computer your Mom, Dad, uncle or aunt wants to get rid off. It so nice to play with a BSD OS when you do not need to be afraid to accidentally wipe your precious Windows data in another disk partition
Package Pilot

Quote:
Hey everyone. I'm a neophyte that is trying to install OpenBSD from my remote gentoo server. Is it possible to have my bsd.rd and pxeboot in a remote location and boot my LAN from it? I have asked in the gentoo forums and mailing list with no response.(Guess because I'm trying to install OpenBSD)
One might ask the Slackware forum, not that they would respond either because the question is about OpenBSD, but they might have given you pointers.

After booting up with a Slackware install DVD one can start up a PXE server on the local network and it will let you install Slackware to any machine on the local network using PXE. (google "Slackware pxesetup script")

The PXE server it uses is called Dnsmasq which is also a TFTP and DHCP server as well.

It has a nice feature "dhcp-proxy" which allows it to act as a middle man for the main network router dhcp server.

http://dnsmasq.org/

http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq...smasq-man.html

Using Dnsmasq, one could serve up any boot image such as the OpenBSD bsd.rd.
Old 5th March 2014
Port Guard

I have further read that the remote DHCP server I configured is in conflict with my (local) router DHCP. My question would dnsmasq present the same problem? I believe i overcomplicated the Matter of trying it remotely instead of Local. Rather this exercise was used to test the ability of pxeboot. As I believe this is a tool every SA should master.

Last edited by chessmaster; 5th March 2014 at 06:12 PM.
Old 5th March 2014
Administrator

Yes, you overcomplicated by wanting to do pxeboot with a remote server. Study http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq6.html#PXE and you will have a local one set up within 10 minutes

Last edited by J65nko; 5th March 2014 at 10:36 PM.
Old 5th March 2014
More noise than signal

Quote:
I have further read that the remote DHCP server I configured is in conflict with my (local) router DHCP.
Yes. You must have missed my earlier post:
Quote:
However, none of these turn-key devices provide advanced DHCP features such as filename or next-server. For that, you have to disable the DHCP server in the router/gateway and provide a separate DHCP server yourself
Quote:
My question would dnsmasq present the same problem?
Yes, it would. You are required to have one DHCP request handling service of some kind on the local subnet. You cannot have a local DHCP server, such as the one currently operating in your router and simulatneously relay DHCP requests to a remote DHCP server. [1]
Quote:
I believe i overcomplicated the Matter of trying it remotely instead of Local.
You are correct.

[1] Unless you are configuring synchronized DHCP servers and their lease databases, such as with the dhcpd(8) -Y/-y options.
Old 6th March 2014
Port Guard

Thanks. I'm going to take J65nko advice and just use my one of my old laptops as a pxe server. Which by the way was very simple to setup and a easy way to update snapshots