DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th June 2008
New User

Default Where to go for specific freebsd router problems?

I am having trouble finding information that will help me build a freebsd router that works. I have found a lot of information that only helps you half way or gives you entirely the wrong information. Please provide me a link that will give me a complete walk through on how to setup a FreeBSD 7.0 router with ipnat please.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th June 2008
Port Guard

Have you already gotten 7.0 installed? What specific problems are you encountering? Hard to give any help with what you've provided so far.

As far as looking for guides is concerned, you'd be better off going through the manual pages and the Handbook first before looking for online guides.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th June 2008
Package Pilot

A router is a complicated device with many potential functions. The great thing about an OS is that it can do everything a router can do, and more. The downside being that it's not pre-configured, since it has such a vast array of options.

Go ahead and tell us exactly what you intend to do (example: internet gateway and DHCP server) and we'll help you find the right path to getting there.

Gateways and routing: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...k-routing.html (See section 29.2.4, Building a Router)
DHCP server: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...work-dhcp.html

The handbook is an excellent tool.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th June 2008
Port Guard

Default Routing

Use a package called quagga from the ports.

This will turn youre FreeBSD box into a full fledged router supporting most of the major protocols.