Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > News

News News regarding BSD and related.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th September 2013
Administrator

Default US and UK spy agencies defeat privacy and security on the internet

From http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...codes-security

Quote:
US and British intelligence agencies have successfully cracked much of the online encryption relied upon by hundreds of millions of people to protect the privacy of their personal data, online transactions and emails, according to top-secret documents revealed by former contractor Edward Snowden.

The files show that the National Security Agency and its UK counterpart GCHQ have broadly compromised the guarantees that internet companies have given consumers to reassure them that their communications, online banking and medical records would be indecipherable to criminals or governments.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th September 2013
Arp Constable

I was reading about this in the NY Times on line. I made it through the first 2 pages, clicking on the 3rd and 4th page links brough up the message that the website was down.

Talk about feeding my paranoia.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th September 2013
Administrator

Just after I posted this link, it appeared on slashdot.org. So I think the Times just got slashdotted
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th September 2013
Too dumb for a smartphone

And in a similar vein:

NSA able to intercept Blackberry e-mails: report

Quote:
Waterloo-based BlackBerry Ltd. has long maintained that its phones are markedly different from Apple or Android-based devices because the data can be encrypted and processed on the company's own servers and network. The documents show that, as early as 2009, the American agency has been able to read messages sent on BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS), the public and less secure form of the company's e-mail delivery system. However, the NSA is now able to intercept messages sent on BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES), the firm's more advanced, private network.
ADDED: Link to Der Spiegel article.

Last edited by IdOp; 9th September 2013 at 06:51 PM. Reason: add link