DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Ports and Packages

FreeBSD Ports and Packages Installation and upgrading of ports and packages on FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th October 2009
Shell Scout

Default Can't open PDF files, FBSD 7.2-release

On my laptop running 7.2-release, I can no longer open pdf files in acroread or okular (running KDE). I used to be able to use either but now even the simplest pdf files do not open. Acroread crashes with
Code:
:1: error: unexpected character `^', expected keyword - e.g. `style'
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'RSException'
And okular crashes with
Code:
okular: Fatal IO error: client killed
I can start either of them on their own (without a pdf file) without a problem; however as soon as I try to open a pdf file they crash.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd December 2009
Shell Scout

Not sure if anyone else has run into this problem, but after I recently upgraded all my Qt4 ports, I found that I can now again open PDFs successfully with Okular.
Now all my Qt4 ports are at 4.5.3. Acroread9 still doesn't work correctly, but at least I can open PDFs with something other than Acrobat in wine.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd December 2009
Tcpdump Spy

Acrobat reader is a Linux application, so upgrading QT4 doesn't make any difference.

From memory, I believe acroread uses some shell script to start, the real binary living somewhere in /usr/local/Adobe/Reader9/Reader/freebsd/bin/
I remember having problems with the script while launching the application directly did work.

Also make sure you brandelf(1) the executable as Linux.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd December 2009
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
Acrobat reader is a Linux application, so upgrading QT4 doesn't make any difference.

From memory, I believe acroread uses some shell script to start, the real binary living somewhere in /usr/local/Adobe/Reader9/Reader/freebsd/bin/
I remember having problems with the script while launching the application directly did work.

Also make sure you [man=1]brandelf[/man] the executable as Linux.
I didn't really expect the Qt4 updates to help acrobat for the reason you stated, but I was happy to see it at least solved the problem with Okular (and every other pdf reader I tried for that matter) not being able to keep a pdf open for more than 10 seconds.

And now that I have Okular working again I'm a lot less concerned about acrobat

I can't for the life of me explain why they both stopped working simultaneously, though.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th December 2009
Shell Scout

I just noticed that the following lines appear in /var/log/messages after I attempt to open a pdf in acrobat (and it fails):
Code:
Dec 19 13:25:32 r32-1600 kernel: linux: pid 5367 (rm): syscall fstatat64 not implemented
Dec 19 13:25:42 r32-1600 kernel: linux: pid 5337 (acroread): syscall inotify_init not implemented
I'm not sure what to make of the fstatat64 - I'm running a P4m processor in this system which is of course not a 64bit CPU.

Searching around did lead me to http://old.nabble.com/Acroread-9-td22984582.html

But that didn't lead to a solution. Any ideas?
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd December 2009
Coffee Addict

I have been getting the same error with Acroread 9 even on FreeBSD 8.0 i386 with linux_base-f10. Acroread 8 works well, though.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd December 2009
Tcpdump Spy

I've had no problems running acroread9 with linux_base-fc4 on FreeBSD 7 not so long ago .

Maybe a note to the maintainer might be in order?
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th December 2009
Coffee Addict

I found an open PR (ports/135486) that documents this. Someone posted that acroread9 works with linux_base-fc4 but not linux_base-f8 [or f10].