DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

Old 15th May 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnz View Post
Yea that sounds interesting... but how would you stop people from tinkering the host OS?
What kind of hotel is this? A hotel for geeks? Do you really expect the average person to come in try to start hacking. I think you may be over complicating things. I think you should step back a look at the demographics of your possible user group.
Spam Deminer

If you really dont care for flash, java, and other various plugins you can use opera kiosk mode with FreeBSD under bare X11 or with limited window manager setup (only few window managers can actually do this)

for more info run opera -kioskhelp
Old 15th May 2008
Shell Scout

Yall..
The only issue I have with Flash on my Ubuntu box is because
it is Hardy-64... Actually, I don't have any issues with flash..
But others on Hardy-64 bit have..

AFAIK, there aren't any issues with Flash on the 32-bit version.. at
least not in 7.10 (Gutsy).

rk
Old 15th May 2008
Port Guard

I would run firefox directly on top of X with no window manager. I would write a script and set up inittab so X and firefox respawn when firefox closes or crashes. The script would probably wipe out the firefox profile directory so users can clear there private data simply by closing the browser. Firefox would run as a limited user, not root, so something like this: `su - nobody -c /usr/bin/firefox` would appear in the script.

Depending on the number of machines I might also be tempted to set up a local repository for updates, and have the kiosk machines update using the local repository on boot up.

I would choose either Arch or Slackware for such a project.
Old 16th May 2008
Just a computer user...

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddierod View Post
What kind of hotel is this? A hotel for geeks? Do you really expect the average person to come in try to start hacking. I think you may be over complicating things. I think you should step back a look at the demographics of your possible user group.
lol hard to say... me and my friends have been tinkering with a few public terminals at hotels and clubs, and we have had success in accessing stuff that are not designed for us... it would be a joke if I can tinker with other people's public machine while I cannot prevent mine from people to do so!!
Just a computer user...

But yea I talk to the owner about it today... they seem to like the idea of running a non-Windows OS on the guest machines, so that they don't need to worry about virus and nasty stuff... but I would need to make sure that Flash and YouTube works.

I probably just going to try X+Firefox+Flash and see how it goes...

Oh by the way, I almost forgot, they'll like to be able to limit the internet machines for 30 minutes... so, guest would need to ask them for the internet, and they'll enable it, which then it will work for 30 minutes, and automatically disconnect afterward.

They would have a main computer in the reception that they use to enable and disable the internet machines...

So I am thinking of blocking outbound networks on the internet machines using pf or iptable... with pf it could just be a simple pfauth where they click this Icon on the reception computer, which fires up putty and lets the internet computer to do its thing, and disconnect in 30 minutes...

I haven't used iptables though... can it be done?? What if they end up having to run Windows, are there anything like that?

All the computers are connected to a Cisco router so I don't think I can just put an OpenBSD router in between... I don't know why they used Cisco router, I don't think they'd know how to log in to the thing and connect and disconnect clients everytime..

Yes I know the 30 minute limit sounds very slack... they want to be cheap, so what can you do...

Last edited by Sunnz; 16th May 2008 at 02:12 PM.
Old 16th May 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Carrier Pigeon IMO

Wait... extinct? You're telling me this now!?
Old 16th May 2008
Just a computer user...

5222806.6 ms response time seem an excellent choice to me!
New User

Why don't you use puppylinux? You don't need a hard drive just a cd rom or dvd drive. Set everything up and boot off a cd they can't change anything. You don't need fast computers, the worst they can do is reboot the machine.
Old 22nd May 2008
Local

The live cd idea is a good one, IMO, but puppylinux is not unique in this offering.

You might even consider creating a custom FreeBSD live cd using the port sysutils/livecd. (I haven't actually built a FBSD live cd, but this conversation might inspire me to.)
New User

The nice thing about puppylinux and DSM is that it's all loaded up into ram so it's blazingly fast. If only a live freebsd had it I would use it instead. Besides freebsd doesn't support flash 9 which is a pity.
I have a FreeSBIE disc here I haven't used for ages
Old 23rd May 2008
Fdisk Soldier

I'd recommend Xandoros as it comes rpepackaged with support for flash and the like.
Windows = a 32 bit extensions to a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a four bit processor written by 2-bit monopolistic software company founded by a .3-bit Harvard Drop out, who can't stand one respectable bit of competition.
If I believe something to be immoral a will not keep quite and let my voice of annoyance be heard loud and clear.