DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th February 2013
New User

Default connection breakdown by route-to rule

Hi,

besides other useful things I have following statements in my pf.conf:

table <INT> { 172.16.0.0/16, 192.168.0.0/24, 192.168.1.0/24 }
pass in on vlan7 inet from {vlan7:network} to !<INT> route-to (vlan7 192.168.1.254)

The rational behind it is that I had to integrate a formerly autonomous department into my LAN. The department insists on keeping their own DSL-router for all outbound traffic from that subnet for access to the internet, not the router the rest of the LAN uses, as the bandwidth of that router is infamously limited.
The statements do work so far. Only: There are regular connection breakdowns during larger downloads and display of streaming content is rather jerky.

The other subnets routed through the machine the filter is running on are not having issues of this kind. So I do not think, the hardware (Pentium4 Box with GBit-Interfaces) is inappropriate for the task. Connection breakdowns only occur when the traffic is routed through that common router and redirected to the department-router. There aren't any problems when traffic is routed directly through the department-router. So I suspect my 'route-to' rule being to blame.

Can anybody help me here? Any hints on what to look for are appreciated.